This May Be Stupid But...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Feb 16, 2014.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It's not definitive, but is instructive. It's like coaching trees. If the vast majority of a guy's assistants who get promoted up suck, it doesn't necessarily mean the next guy will. On the other hand, why bother finding out if he's the exception that proves the rule?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I cannot argue that all of the many lower-tier / up-and-coming candidates mentioned here are those that are most likely to be hired (IF Cuonzo gets ran, which I don't believe) - but I don't know if that makes me more irritated, depressed or just completely apathetic about the whole mess.

If there was a chance that the likes of a Ben Howland or Scott Skiles would be interested (and some say they would, IIRC), and we still end up with LA Tech's coach - I'll see that as an unmitigated disaster.

Even if such a coach comes here and has success, I'll always wonder what more the likes of a Howland or Skiles might have also accomplished, instead. If he comes here and flags or flails, I'll damned sure be thinking this.

I'm perpetually torn between what I believe to be entirely reasonable expectations in a basketball coach, and the undeniable reality of how far we're almost certainly going to fail in meeting them, whomever we hire.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Skiles sounds like a fine option, but I can't believe I'm the only one who doesn't think Howland is the guy we should go after.

4. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Correction

It's a common theme here to note the state and strategy of the UTAD. I understand the Simon Cowell drive to find the next big thing, but the University of Tennessee shouldn't be shopping for the next big thing. It's time to get out of the star making business and start hiring the current big thing. We shouldn't be the experimental training grounds for some guy that hasn't proven himself.

I would take Bruce Pearl over CCM and the likely choice to replace him. However, Bruce's tenure reminded me of a little of Jerry Green's. They were winning, but it started getting ugly. We should go to Howland or Marshall and say come make a legacy...and by the way, here's a big fat salary.

Oh, and I expect CCM to eek out another year with a supposed controversial exclusion from the dance only to win 1 in the NIT.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. hatvol96

The only way a UT exclusion would be controversial is if they win the next five and one in the SEC Tournament and are still left out.

6. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I said "supposed" as in it may be spun that way at least by pro-Vol media. In reality, our so-so RPI is the only thing that even has us in the conversation. Martin's teams rally in the late regular season, but I don't see an 11 or 12 loss UT team as deserving.

7. hatvol96

Their strength of schedule is why they are in the discussion.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i think I've finally had an epiphany on why I oppose the desire to rehire Pearl so much, it has less to do with the actual Thing Itself and more to do with the fact that the unwashed ignorant masses are driving the bus on it. Throw in the "the fans want it and UT should give the fans what they want" sentiment too, because yeah, giving the people that thought D**** D***** was great because he said "shucks" and "britches" what they want sounds like a great idea.

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I don't remember the sunshine pumpers yelling he was a good hire when it happened or advocating hiring him during the search. Most were like who the f is [ddiapos]? Then afterwards they started to like him just because he was "our guy".

10. Basketvolsfan

Basketvolsfan Member

I'm not sure there was a ground swell of support from fans for Dooley to be hired. Doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Did fans want him to be successful after he was hired? Absolutely, just as they did with Martin and any other coach we have.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not talking about the hiring of Dooley, just more the refusal of so many to call it what it was, even after two and a half seasons.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I was behind him until the clock hit 0:00 against UGA in '11.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Me too. High five.

Rivera could have put up 200 yards that game if we'd even tried to utilize him. Instead it was fifteen yard outs to Da'Rick every play.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sunshine-pumpers.

I was done at the end of the 3rd quarter. Looked at my wife and said three seasons, tops.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't remember the exact moment, but it was that game. Horrible.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Revisionist history, I see how it is.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm sure the older lady that sits behind me has the memory of me screaming obscenities at Isaiah Crowell and [ddiapos] forever seared into her brain. It got pretty ugly.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don't remember that game. Like, at all.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Neither do I. Couldn't tell you what the final score was within 40 points for either team.

I assume that God, in His mercy, has erased it from my memory.