Ut uk

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by emainvol, Feb 17, 2015.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Butler might not have a "better lineup" per se but they're a better basketball team.

I don't think very many people prognosticated us being around .500 in league play.

We don't rebound because we're dramatically overmatched inside by everybody. Sure, 90% effort and all that but size just matters.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

being a better team is about the coaching and player type.

the rebounding thing is an issue of ill qualified, but there is also a lack of focus there. We clearly don't make it a priority.

I don't say all this to knock Tyndall, because I agree with the zone in college ball and recognize the lack of offensive options, but he hasn't quite turned water to wine. Our strength of schedule is pathetic.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think the list is actually pretty substantial because this group has some very determined leaders.

Having no discernable post play is a huge issue, but I don't see us being better as a whole than is the sum of the parts. We aren't that.

Again, I like the approach to the modern game that coach takes, but he hasn't turned water to wine. He's better than his predecessor. He's a good coach. He's not some cut above the rest of the coaching world.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Hitting the boards and strength of schedule --- don't disagree there. Too, conference strength aside from UK dominance and Arky is middle of the road by comparison. Yet, would you not agree that it's hard not to like what DT has accomplished to date given what he has to work with. First yr, and all. Recruiting class virtually fell apart and the attrition. Next season will be more telling?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm not disappointed in the coaching. I think he's a good coach. I think he can have us middling like this on an annual basis. I don't think he has performed some miracle with dreck as is being bandied about.

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Fair enough but nix the "middling" nonsense. I expect him to land a few quality and one or two elite recruits this cycle and field a stronger more fundemetally sound squad in '15-'16

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That is reasonable. I do think maybe the orange suit is not for him or his tailor needs to work on "fit." Maybe they can advise Butch as he seems to be an expert on "fit."

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Question regarding the Nike switch. Due to AAU and Nike's involvement, will the switch actually help in recruiting or is that overblown? I honestly don't know much about that but it's something I've heard more than once that Adidas hurt the basketball program.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Eh, middle of a terrible league doesn't mean much more than bottom of it. The league is deep with no good teams, and you've got to sort them out somehow.

I don't know what will come of So Miss stuff, but I do know the admin doesn't think it will amount to much. My contact's exact words were something like, "If Hart thought it was going to be a big deal, he would have done something about it already."

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hart doing something that makes sense? No, you're mistaken.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

He's got a better roster than UT's at Auburn. How's that going for him?

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Check your meter ... it was sarcasm

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It won't hurt

14. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Getting the results we've seen this season with not a single legitimate major conference post player or shooter is phenomenal.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Got one of the best all around players in the conference, though

16. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Countless 10-20 teams have had one good player. This roster is garbage.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Baulkman can flat shoot it. We just don't work to get him shots. Mostella can shoot it.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think we're bottom half of the league in talent. Idea that there is this giant skill chasm between us and all the other SEC teams is hyperbole, or atleast it better be.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Not like we're not 6-7 against the ACC

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

They shoot, they don't make.