Vegas

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by utvol0427, Dec 24, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I enjoyed my 12 whole hours in Vegas the night before the championship game in '98-'99.

Drive to the Hoover Dam. Cool site.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The Hoover Dam was cool. We took the dam tour that takes you way the hell down in the damn dam. It was kinda freaky being down there where the dam walls were leaking.

3. JayVols

I didn't do the tour. Just the topside sights are beautiful. The white ring (@ 50 ft now) on the canyon walls wasn't there then.

I hit Hoover Dam pretty hard when teaching the depression. Amazing how they built that. The dam at the bottom is wider than the Empire State Building is tall. The dam is still getting stronger because even after 80 years, the concrete is still curing. Here's a great documentary on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_clJ-6-Fs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I talked to the tour guide after and he went in to more detail about the construction. It was/is definitely an engineering marvel.

5. JayVols

It hits all my interests. I teach history & technology/engineering.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If you don't like the Golden Nugget, you should have your Vegas privileges pulled. Otherwise, I agree about Fremont.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It was by far the nicest place in the area. Didn't spend much time there to get a feel for it. I was ready to distance myself from the filth and the wife was tipsy and jonesing to get back to the room.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Old school Binion's Horseshoe is also a must.

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The National Atomic Testing Museum is awesome

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Gold and Silver Pawn shop and say hello to Chumlee for me.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

We drove past the place on our way out to Red Rock and the line to get in was all the way down the street and around the corner. Can't imagine wasting time like that while I'm in Vegas.

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

You can't say hello to Chumlee for me if you don't go in, it would be worth it IMHO.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd rather have a beer or two with the old man.