Vols 1-0 post game thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Aug 31, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

- Worley is what he is. He's not a great qb. He can be decent, nothing more.

- Those screens and swing passes are long handoffs. This offense is boring as all get out, but there's no risk of turnovers and all it takes is one broken tackle and it's a first down. I don't like it, but it works. A greener than goose shit ol and a game manager qb, this is about the best you can get.

- Lane and Hurd were one broken tackle from breaking long runs a few times tonight

- Vonn Pearson, congratulations.

- AJ demanded to be put on kickoffs. It paid off well. It also says something when your senior leaders wants to play special teams

- Tons of speed on d. It's amazing that one recruiting class made that much of a difference. AJ also looked faster. Guys were disciplined, didn't miss tackles and made plays.

- That first fg attempt was embarrassing. I'm glad the 2nd one went smoothly.

I said 7 wins, I saw nothing tonight to change my mind.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Biggest thing I noticed tonight was the tackling, especially in the flats. Definitely an improvement.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Thought Worley was better than decent tonight.

4. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I would say that Worley looked much improved on passes 15 yards or less. I think he actually looked great. The glaring issue, something that will hurt us down the road, is that he cannot, with any confidence, throw the ball downfield. It's such a shame due to the obvious talent at WR.

Pearson is the real deal, I will be excited to watch him this season.

Sutton is still a badass, Coleman STILL sucks balls. How many time can one guy get roasted in his college career.

Watching AJ gave me goosebumps. He looks faster and in control of the defense.

Our Dline looked solid. Oline looked ok for the most part, pretty bad at times. Both run and pass blocking need some help.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He looked better than Dylan Thompson. If he can start hitting deep balls accurately, which has been a weak point of his imo, he's better than decent.

He didn't get near as flustered under pressure as his first 3 years here.

6. JAllen18MVP

JAllen18MVP Member

I think the better SEC defenses are going to eat up that dink and dunk passing game. And if Worley keeps missing the deep ball by a mile, we're gonna be in some trouble.

Overall team speed gets me really excited for the future. Just need a damn QB.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The first pass interference on Coleman was a horseshit call. Coleman did fine covering the slot.

Sutton is a stud.

McNeil was actually in position and laid the wood a few times.

8. JAllen18MVP

JAllen18MVP Member

I think Sutton is my favorite player on the team.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kind of funny how bad the Vols torpedoed Keeton's Heisman campaign. No matter what he does from here, folks will point to this game. Against the Vols.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

He was my fav last year.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The dl is undersized. They'll get pushed around by teams with road graders up front. I'm prepared for it but I don't think that happens until uga. Alabama will do it too.

12. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

This. He did a very, very good job of keeping his eyes down the field...which I imagine is hard to do with an OL that had 6 combined starts.

13. JAllen18MVP

JAllen18MVP Member

Also, I can't describe how excited I am to have multiple pass-catching TE's again.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And, for as boring as it was, the offensive game plan was get the ball out quickly.

I don't think Tennessee will play a defense that uses that many odd fronts again.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Enjoyed myself tonight.

**** [ddiapos].

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume we were passing so much because of the mismatch at WR/DB.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Agreed.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

nc state! Chik eff gays kickoff!

19. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Off topic, but hearing a mass of whiteys singing "3rd down for what" in the stands got old pretty quickly

20. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

I screamed so much I can't talk right now and we won. It was a great time on rocky top.