Well shit -- a renewable fuel source!

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

This should take the whole "dealing with bad guys in the middle east" issue of Trump's plate. With no further demand for their oil, the entirety of the Middle East should be the functional equivalent of Sudan in no time at all.*

And how? Well shit, duh.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/6/13544176/feces-fossil-fuel-poop-crude-oil
    https://gizmodo.com/ucla-scientists-think-poo-could-power-our-cars-1762060256

My question is: what in the world took us long to come up with this? I mean, we've got drones delivering a desk lamp we ordered earlier that day; we've 3D printers building a house in 24 hours; we've got the female condom, for chrissakes. Turning poop into fuel should have been crossed off the list circa 1971. Anyway, better late than never, I suppose.

2. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

PF Changs and Taco Bell should be in line for some healthy advertising and subsidies from the government if this happens.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

First and second laws of thermodynamics

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Don't need rebewables now. Coal is back.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Only for a few weeks. Santa is about to deposit all of it in Hillary's stocking.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Then Trump is going to burn it down - all of it, everywhere. Racism will rule the day.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We can manage this but can't seem to get rid of Butch?

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Butch is a line item veto priority.

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

They've been trying to get fuel from poop at least as long as I have been alive.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

They've been successful for the last 150,000 or more years. Gonna take a lot to power a single car though. Cuz physics.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why the whole ethanol red herring is sad and a disaster.

12. JayVols

Corn ethanol, yes. That is just corporate welfare for big agri-business.

There are some viable alternatives that aren't essentialy a 1 to 1 ratio of energy output. Using sugar cane and switchgrass to produce ethanol are far superior to corn. Even kudzunol is better than corn.

So there are viable options for ethanol. They just don't have the money to buy support in Congress like the corn lobby.

One thing that intrigues me is the biodiesel from algae. That's cool.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That and ethanol sucks when that shit clogs up my carburetors on my lawn mowers.

14. JayVols

[​IMG]

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Beat me to it.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Does the same to a lot of guys boats down here. I use rec fuel, no ethanol.

17. JayVols

I've used ethanol gas in my boat since I bought it in '96. Never had one issue, but I use Sta-bil in my tank before I park it for winter.

18. JayVols

I also hook a water hose to my intakes, disconnect the fuel line from the motor and let it run until it burns any fuel off and dies on it's own.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That's probably a really good idea. Something a couple of guys have told me is they've had to change their fuel lines from the ethanol eating up some older fuel lines.

20. JayVols

I've never heard of ethanol eating fuel lines. I'm guessing, since they are older fuel lines, that dry-rot is likely the real culprit.

But, yeah. Always burn off excess fuel. Can't gum up injectors or jets (if carbureted) if there's nothing in there to gum.