What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I get it for avoiding distractions, but the reasoning seems foreign about wanting separate areas.

Have you seriously never used a monitor? It's objectively a better experience. Monitors are built for gaming; whereas TVs are not.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah I’ve worked from home exclusively for about 5 years and I range between playing all the time when wife is in busy times and working more to maybe an hour or so a day when she isn’t. Just depends

What works for me may not work for everyone, just relating how I feel about it. Some jobs have down time and some don’t. Having worked jobs that do, I am completely cool with having everything right there.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Depends on how good your monitor is. I have a 35 inch ultrawide. It’s great for some things and I prefer the big screen for others

Also, if you are sitting 8-10 feet away from a 55 inch and it’s 4K you aren’t getting the 4K benefit, fwiw. So may not be time to upgrade to next gen yet

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

But, bottom line, if you don’t want to invest in better monitors yet, PC gaming is something you should hold off on.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No. But I don’t really game “competitively” anymore. I don’t really do the shooters, and when I do, it’s just for fun. My last 4 games have been far cry, Spider-Man, pokemon, and nba 2K (not online). I don’t necessarily need “optimum” gaming performance.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s a 2021 LG OLED.

Why am I not getting the 4K benefit? Too far away? It may be closer. We live in a row home, so the house is only 12-13 feet wide. And we have a deep sofa, which is why I gave the range.

We started with a 65 inch a while back and it felt too big for the room.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t mind investing in better monitors, but I’m not a competitive gamer, so I don’t need top tier monitors either.

I’m considering PC because all my friends are on it, I’d have access to mods, more games, etc.

The expense is a drawback. I don’t mind spending the money, but I’m big on value. If I can get the PS5 and new Xbox for a grand, why drop 3 grand on a PC?

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I invested in good monitors for my home office because it makes me more productive and has the added benefit of being good for personal use. At this point I hate going into the office on occasion because my home set up is far superior. I current use a 49" QHD 2K monitor because I got tired of the bezel in my face from my old dual monitor set up.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t even know what half of that stuff means.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah, if you are at the low end you aren’t far from where the difference is really apparent

Now, 4K TVs just generally look better anyway, but the closer you are the more benefit you get out of the larger pixel count. For a 55 inch you really want to be 6-7 feet from the tv

Here’s a chart

[​IMG]

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How do you enjoy any content sitting 4 feet away from a 55 inch television?

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If its a high resolution TV, immensely. If its 1080, its pixelated as shit.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled55c1pub-oled-4k-tv

This is my TV. It's high resolution.

If I sit four feet away from it, I feel like I can't take in the entire screen at once. Like I have to turn my head to see what's taking place on the edges of the screen. That's why we scaled down from 65 in to 55 in. We felt like we needed to sit back further to take in the full screen.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

TV should take up about 30% of your view when looking at it for optimal viewing. 5-6 feet was perfect for my 55 inch. I’m about 7 feet from my 65 inch and it’s great

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

One thing to take from that chart is that 8K is completely impractical until the prices drop drastically. No matter what size you get you will essentially have to be able to see nothing but screen to get the full effect

Also, I’m not trying to say Indy shouldn’t have bought a 4K or anything. They are the standard on the market right now, and even the midrange are just spectacular compared to where we were with the high end 1080ps a few years ago. But unless there is a new gem game he just has to have, the higher resolutions aren’t going to matter much unless he is closer to the TV

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Now I kinda want to rearrange the furniture so I can be 4' from my 65" TV to see what I've been missing.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have a ten year old Vizio.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Native refresh rate of 120 is an upgrade over the 60 I had on my Sony X930E.

I only bought the TV because I needed to spend 4 grand in a 3 month period on a new credit card to get the nice reward, and I wanted to get an OLED.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I measured... looks like 3.5 inches.... errrr wait, wrong file.

6.5 feet from the screen if I'm sitting up on the couch, which is my typical posture for most video games. 8.5 feet if I'm laying back on the couch, which is probably more common for Netflix.

The viewing distances are weird to me. I literally went through the hassle of sending back a 65 inch tv and getting it replaced because it was uncomfortable to watch and felt too big.