Who will be the next OC?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Oldvol75, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think he's a good man, and a good coach.

I'm not sure if he's overrated, given the many, distinct and built-in advantages of the Sevier County / open enrollment at Maryville.

I think if you picked him up and sat him down at a public / closed enrollment school in Knoxville - he'd still be a very, very good coach. I think he'd be perfectly capable of playing for and winning a state title. But there is 0.0% chance that we'd talking about his being named OC at TN. And neither would we, were he the coach located anywhere outside of a 100 mile radius of Knoxville, even if he was as successful there, as here.

Why is the suggestion met with such contempt?
    First, because it's an absolutely ludicrous proposition, from the word "Go". And secondly, the only thing dumber than the average Tennessee fan, is the UTAD - and it's dangerous to allow any bad idea, however ludicrous, to linger.

And let's just roll the dice that he COULD be the next Malzhan - and nothing suggests he is....

1. Why in the world would any Tennessee fan think it wise to hire him, from all that is available to us?

2. Does anyone think that we're in a position to take such a HUGE gamble right now? And for what? To make the yokels feel good?

Finally, I'll conclude with this:
    Outside of Tennessee, what's the last SEC team that mentioned hiring George Quarles? And why do you think that is.

This is not "at" you, JQK, but the subject of hiring Quarles, in general.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm certainly not advocating it, but I don't know that it's as ludicrous as you say.

As far as the open enrollment thing goes, I've seen them play on the football field in person admittedly only a few times, but they're not beating the crap out of people because they're vastly athletically superior. Especially not when they're winning the state title game.

As far as Malzahn, Freeze, and Briles, didn't they have a local connection to the places that hired them? Familiarity is worth something, I suppose.

I agree with your points 1 & 2, though. No reason to take a risk like this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You're Hired!

4. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Bill Legg, Calvin McGee, Sonny Cumbie. Hope we make all 3 say no before we start talking about guys like Deboard.

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Freeze and Briles also started out as position coaches straight out of HS.

Hell, give me someone like Dorsey or Cumbie at QB/OC and get him in at WR assuming Z leaves and call it a day.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

If we were to hire him I'd certainly rather it be this route.

7. MWR

MWR Contributor

Wait just a minute. We need to know if rbroyles would come out on the opening play and establish the Bomb.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

RB establishes the Bomb with his introductory press conference.

9. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Brent Hubbs saying Mike Debord might be the first person they interview. Jesus.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

In no universe do you hire, let alone interview, Mike Debord.

11. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Well it's about to happen this weekend apparently.

12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Debord hasn't been hired away from any program since 1999. Every place he's gone has been dismantled and he's moved on to gradually lower and lower ranking position spots.

Hasn't been an OC since 2007 and hasn't been a coach since 2012.

I will be so (*&@ing mad if we interview, much less hire, Debord.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

shouldn't get an interview, but if he does and doesn't get hired, i'll get over it. hiring him...good Lord.

14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

This has to be an expedited process given the looming NSD and draft that both CFB and NFL teams will be looking at. This is when hires move fast and furious.

Giving an old friend a handjob to try to give his name creedence so some mid-major might consider him is bad enough. Actually considering this guy is even worse.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You know why magician's point in a certain direction, don't you?

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

To divert your attention.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I'm more legitimate than him.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I read a Q&A between VQ and CBJ earlier today that discussed this matter. Butch said he kept a notebook with updated candidates for situations just like this. He said it's his job to be prepared for these things and he said he is. I'm curious to know what his list looks like.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"Hope"

Don't we all.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I as well, real interested to know where I am.