Will Cuonzo Get Fired If He Misses the Tourney?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kidbourbon, Jan 27, 2014.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Not as simplistic as the bargain basement/big name tiers that most fans use to categorize prospective coaches.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I was about to say something.

3. kidbourbon

Well, I was operating under the assumption that we weren't willing to spend the money on a proven winner.

4. kidbourbon

Thanks. I thought they were pretty good myself.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

true. i think most fans around here just don't follow it that closely. how many of the Bring Back Brucers can name 10 other college basketball coaches?

6. kidbourbon

I hate that it devolves into a bring back bruce crusade, and I'm actually a fan of Bruce Pearl. I think he's a very good basketball coach, but he's not the only good basketball coach in the world.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If you take out the guys at the very top of the profession that people who watch college basketball four weeks a year know, pretty much none.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

my buddy i have season tix with was telling me he's one of the top 5 in the country. i think he's good too, but some folks just have a narrow view.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Finish it, then.

10. Tenacious D

I would have gladly taken Marshall out of Wichita St.

No questions asked.

It's not about where they're from, necessarily, but what they've shown that they can do. I'm not sure that "head coach of Tennessee" would have been the next logical step on Cuonzo's resume, even had it carried on for three additional bullet points from where it was when we hired him.

What was the last quality coach Tennessee hired in basketball? Pearl? And before that? O'Neil?

Maybe I've got it all wrong. I am the quintessential four-weeks-a-year fan that Hat lamented, earlier.

Someone, anyone, give me any reason(s) to believe that UT will end the Cuonzo experiment at the end of this season, and that they're in any way likely to hire a decent coach to replace him (whenever it happens, this year or not). I understand saying that a "14 year old with the internet" could make a good hire, but we had both of this three years ago, and it doesn't seem to have worked. I'm all for being educated, and would love to hear any of the resident experts give me any reason to hold out even a modicum of hope.

I'm all ears.

11. hatvol96

I'm not lamenting them, per se. The portion of that group I have a problem with are the ones who act as if they can intelliegently discuss college basketball coaches.

12. hatvol96

Have him come sit with me for a few games.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

throw him to the wolves

14. Tenacious D

I took no offense at it - that's exactly what I am.

But I'm also comfortable in admitting that 99.5% of all that I know about basketball comes from this board. So, if you guys are hopeful that they'll hire someone competent, I'd honestly love to hear it.

As things now stand, I wouldn't go watch this team if they let me sit on the bench for the game and coach the second half. My mind is closed on the idea that Cuonzo is the answer.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

we don't seem to do anything different than most anybody else. we don't remember we've got a huge budget or reasonably good in-state talent or the best damn arena around, or a fan base that wants to love basketball, more than all the teams in the league except 2 or 3. if we fire Cuonzo, we'll do what everybody else in the country does, get in the same pool of "up-and-comers" that always come up every year. All I can say is some of those guys turn out to be good, and maybe we'll get lucky. That's about all I got.

16. hatvol96

The only optimism I have is that Donnie Tyndall and Michael White are pretty good coaching prospects and fit our usual mid major profile plus they are from the south.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I would hope for Marshall and expect Tyndall. I've seen his name numerous times.

18. Tenacious D

That where they are from will warrant any consideration at all (and I absolutely believe it will, because, well, we're Tennessee) is exactly my point.

I've never heard either of their names, for the record.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Marshall should tell us to stfu

20. JohnnyQuickkick

undoubtedly he would. i'd still make him