worley isn't the answer

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 29, 2011.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I agree with IPorange that the defense played reasonably well up to the point where the offense failed to take a gift on the two yard line into the end zone. I think the ensuing 98 yard TD drive by SC was a function of an attitude of why bother, the offense cannot hold up their part.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I disagree.

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

that and the fact that 80% of the time during that drive, our defense seemed confused and couldn't even line up properly.

4. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I'd take Worley over Simms every day and twice on Sunday.

5. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

Might as well put him out there. Simms getting the reps serves no purpose.

mtsu will be valuable time, and maybe JW gets some rythm before Arky. Not sure there will be any bowl practices. Now's the time.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Dooley names Worley as starter against MTSU.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I meant that Worley starting against MTSU means that inserting Simms in the SC game seems panicky. If Simms starts at MTSU, then so be it.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, where is Channing Fugate? I have a hard time believing he doesn't catch that goal line pass and score there in the first quarter.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Been wondering this myself. Not sure Google could find him right now. I thought the staff had been high on him.

tidwell likes this.
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kind of wonder if he's gotten in some unpublicized trouble.

11. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Awesome.

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

They've been grasping for anything since they inherited this mess of a roster. Bray and Hunter provided a spark to help bridge the rebuild, but they're out now. Everyone just has to hang in here and support the process. There are no quick and easy fixes and nothing that the coaches are missing that would make much of a difference at this point.

13. VOLinDAWGland

Worley has the upside and showed far more than Simms has in several games he's played. The only thing I'll give Simms is that he'd have probably been a better choice when we had 1st and 2 at the goal as he has a better grasp at getting the offense into better run plays.

14. VOLinDAWGland

I figured you bring in Simms because Worley clearly had just had all he could process. It was just evident it was time for him to hang it up for the night and come out to fight another night. Starting him against MTSU is totally appropriate.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The team can play disciplined and not jump offsides one in every 8 offensive plays. If you have to run the same 8 plays over and over again to insure your freshman QB knows what's going on, do it.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I thought he had gotten hurt

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

He was a freshman making his first start, so I'm not really knocking the guy, but I would like to see the evidence for this.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just to throw out there - how would you compare Worley's first start to other freshmen who have been thrown in the mix? Here's a list of freshmen who have been forced into duty since 94.

Manning
    Stewart
    Suggs (RS)
    Clausen
    Ainge
    Schaefer
    Crompton (RS)
    Bray

Quite frankly, the only one on this list I would make an argument Worley can even be comparable to in their first start was Suggs. Now, I realize there are a ton of other factors weighing into the result (such as every other QB sans Bray had a lot more experience around him), but at the same time, you can look over that list and do a quick comparision in your mind of the "wow" factor they produced. You know early on with a QB. They dazzle you somehow.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

See Bray to Jones for a TD against USCe last year.

Worley made two very good throws to Arnett but had a lot of issues that the good ones never seem to really have.

20. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

While there were some definite bad throws by Worley, I did see some flashes of good. The seam route that he was able to complete to Arnett a couple of times, was thrown very well. If we had any running game at all, he may have looked a little better imo. Not only does the blocking suck ass, and Poole is too busy dancing, but the running plays are easy to see presnap due to the formations. We seem to run the same play ever single time we are in certain formations and sometimes we even run those plays in consecutive order. I think the playcalling is predictable, especially in the running game, and defenses are able to recognize it and capitalize on it.