You Friggin people....

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Chiutfan, Oct 31, 2011.

1. tripper

tripper Member

I honestly believe they will not have a choice. In my mind, who we get with the big check is the question.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've been that way since he was announced HC.

I like [ddiapos] as the wise cracking, smart assed, orange pants wearing HC.

I do not like [ddiapos] as the HC that looks lost against teams with equal talent. Hell, his teams play better against the LSU's and Bama's of the world than the SCAR's and UGA's and that's unacceptable.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A win starved, tradition rich program will do anything to get back to the top.

4. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

here's the danger. You boot dooley out in three years, and what coach is going to be willing to come in. Three years isnt enough to build a program not unless you have a boat load of talent sitting on the bench. and if thats the case, why dump the coach?

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Getting talent on the roster and good recruiting classes is one thing. Not being able to take that talent to the next level with coaching is another. Coaches are supposed to take good talent and make it great. Be able to scheme against more talented teams and occasionally pull it off. What we do know about Dooley is that he's a pretty good recruiter. What we don't know is how far he can take that talent.

6. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Yes they do.

He says "don't panic" and "stay composed" and calls a game completely contrary to either one of those commands. Don't get it.

Sometimes I think he worries too much about what he doesn't have (human nature) than coaching what the [uck fay] he has. He had plenty of talent to beat SC without Lattimore.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Because the coach hasn't shown he knows what the hell he's doing against evenly matched teams?

If Dooley doesn't win a lot of ball games next year, he's in trouble. The offense is going to be very good. The defense is going to be slightly above average. The East as a whole is going to be mediocre.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

We hired a WAC loser and expected him to win in the SEC. We're getting exactly what we deserve.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This.

And that opinion does fly over on the other station. I said as much last night, it didn't go over well.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If he finishes recruiting like it looks like he will. He will have left it better than what he got, which would have been on PF and LKs hands.

This is where the extremes come in. He's not gonna get fired for not winning the east next year. He will get fired if this team continues on its current track and next year follows a similar suit. I don't expect him to go 6-6 or 7-5 with next years roster and schedule. If he can't win 9 with what the east will field next year he should not be given a 4th year.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  11. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

It's official. I'm in love. I hate Jack Nicholson, but that's my favorite movie of all time.

12. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

mine too vollygirl... My favorite line? please tell me you brought me here to discuss more importmant matters than underwear and footlockers.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

A win starved, tradition rich program should do anything to get back on top. Whether we will or not is yet to be seen.

It isn't really a coaching achievement to play the role of plucky loser against better teams that played well for a while but just didn't have enough in the second half, IMO. I've seen Kentucky and Vandy alternate in that role for decades.

14. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

that was my first thought.

15. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

that's pretty much the size of it. unfortunately, we didn't have em lined up to take the job.

16. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

what's dooley's buyout in '12 or '13? Over $3 million iirc.... we'll have to pay that and more to get a big enough name to turn things around ....

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The men making decisions now realize what they have to do. It had been 30 years since Tennessee was down like this.

I'm not saying it is, I'm saying it's telling that you have your team ready to go against a big time opponent but look lost against a team that you're fairly even with. It looks horrible for the staff.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Chiutfan, I like your style.

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I hope you are right. I fear that they will simply cash conference pay checks, point to black numbers in the athletic department, and hide behind words like "continuity" and "cultural fit." That is certainly what some of the previous men have done in recent history.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

On that scale, money really isn't an issue. Especially if you go for a home run hire-- the sort of hire we would actually be in a position to make now that there would actually be some athletes to work with. I think a big part of our problem when looking to replace Kiffin was that he hadn't had a chance to repopulate the depth chart on the lines especially. No one wanted to walk into that mess.