View RSS Feed

volfanjo

1. Thoughts on Hoops: Recapping Last Year Edition

While the news of Jeronne Maymon's injury dampens the spirits of the Vol nation today, let's take some time to reflect on what we learned from last year's Vols hoops squad. Tip-off for pre-season is less than two weeks, and before you know it, we will be in the thick of non-conference play. So, some thoughts on last season.

1. This basketball team evolved over the course of the season: Remember the team in November that was at the top of conference in scoring but didn't play a lick ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Dknash's Oddball Round-up

Quote Originally Posted by dknash View Post
    A few scores I found interesting:

Ur Doin' It Wrong - BCS teams from different conferences playing each other week 1, not at neutral site, non-rivalry (possibly excludes Big East since I can't remember which abject programs are left in it)

Northwestern 42, Syracuse 41 - probably a legitimately great game. Fun fact, Syracuse outgained Northwestern by 260 yards.

Embarrassing the SEC - Kentucky

Louisville 32, Kentucky 14 - At least Kentucky
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Thoughts on Hoops: What I think I think I know

I think I think I know:

1. That Cuonzo Martin has an opportunity to win and win big in Knoxville. In a period of weeks he has -- literally -- transformed the basketball team into his own image. Gone are the early season contests that involved making enough threes to hang around in a ball game. Since the Charleston loss, the Vols are giving up a respectable 61 ppg and playing a defensive style not seen since the O'Neill years.

2. That Bruce Pearl didn't leave the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Thoughts on Hoops: A Homer's Take on the Five Games That Turn the Season

Conjuring up how your team might win enough games to make the tournament is a blessed thing in the last week leading up to the start of the basketball season. After all, you haven't actually seen the team play -- at least this current iteration and this coach -- and so your mind wanders on to the "what ifs" it would take to be a little better than you think. A few weeks ago I speculated how each returning player would need to contribute if UT had a chance this season. Today I will speculate ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thoughts on Hoops: What I Would Tell Cuonzo

Mike Hamilton -- and Bruce Pearl -- did a very good thing by honoring the past greats over the last several years. For me, it might be Hamilton's most significant achievement, save the difficult, though necessary, forced resignation of Philip Fulmer. In the last five years, the Vols have hung banners honoring: John Ward, Ray Mears, Bernard King, Ernie Grunfeld, and Allan Houston. I was in attendance for all but Houston's, which I regret given that Allan Houston's jumper was permanently burned ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast