View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. The Brad Watts story

Brad and I came in to UT as freshmen together. Freshmen had to be there 3 days before the upper classmen. A few of us linemen types were out on the practice field doing things on our own. We came upon these padded 2x12's that were planted in the ground. We figured out that these were for giving forearms and rolling to the next one and repeat. Well three of us went and did what we thought the drill should be. Brad went last. The very first one that Brad gave a forearm to, he broke the board off. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. UT from my perspective.......pg.8

Things we did for fun.

One of the things we enjoyed most at Gibbs Hall was the occasional SUMO wrestling contest. I'll preface this by saying we had one banned participant. For the life of me I can't remember his name but he was a wrestler, yes we use to have a wrestling team. He was Tennessee's heavy weight wrestler. He was 6'-7" and weighed over 400 pounds, we were big just not stupid.

Gibbs at that time had hallways that went to the inside of the dorm. In the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. UT from my perspective.......pg.7

Well now that my mind is off what could have been with Gruden, I'll add another page.

Its finally spring practice time. We had different NCAA rules back then, there really wasn't a time limit on just how long you could practice. Spring practice was much like fall camp, you did the same type drills and technique things. The only real exception was the "Saturday" scrimmage. If we started at 11, practice was over at 5. If we started at 12, practice was over at 6.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. UT from my perspective.......pg.6

We got back from Christmas to the start of winter workouts. If you are old enough to remember we had a place for indoor workouts called the Bubble. The big white thing next to Gibbs Hall. They turned the heat up in that thing to about 95 degrees. Each station that you went to had a 50 gallon trash can at it. That was strictly for puking in. It actually got quite a lot of use. The heat just added to the ambiance to the setting.

We did the typical things you do in there, cones, hurdles, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. UT from my perspective.......pg.5

Hawaii was amazing to this 18 year old kid. We stayed at a hotel on the beach. After we got checked in to the hotel we had some free time, about 3 hours to walk around because we had a 9:00 curfew for the first night, mainly because of the time difference, it was a Wednesday. I roomed with Greg Phillips, our room was beach front so all we could hear was the sound of the ocean. The next day we went early to Hawaii's stadium for practice. That lasted about 2 hours and then we had the rest of the day ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast