Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: H1 B Visas

Lyle's lynch mob community organizer
    IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy

Status
    See Ignore List

Default H1 B Visas

What is this horse crap? Sounds like it's being massively abused. The only one in the election I've heard talk about it is Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac61 View Post
    I tried. I will continue to embarrass you in front of your friends.

Significantly cheaper skilled labor. Typically all about margins.

Quote Originally Posted by IP View Post
    What is this horse crap? Sounds like it's being massively abused. The only one in the election I've heard talk about it is Trump.
    Abused is an understatement.
    Nice to meet you. What pronoun should I use?

Of course it's being abused. Comparably skilled onshore resources often exist, but at much higher cost.

IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy

Status
    See Ignore List

Quote Originally Posted by gcbvol View Post
    Of course it's being abused. Comparably skilled onshore resources often exist, but at much higher cost.
    But that isn't how it is supposed to be applied.

Status
    See Ignore List

When freaking Disney workers are getting the boot, they've jumped the shark.

for the tech industry there is a definite lack of qualified americans, but it is a way to keep wages down obviously since they don't have to give big raises to attract talent. I don't mind it because we are bringing in talented people who benefit this country. the number of guys who were originally H1 Bs that have started billion $$ companies down the road is impressive.

Status
    See Ignore List

Quote Originally Posted by droski View Post
    for the tech industry there is a definite lack of qualified americans, but it is a way to keep wages down obviously since they don't have to give big raises to attract talent. I don't mind it because we are bringing in talented people who benefit this country. the number of guys who were originally H1 Bs that have started billion $$ companies down the road is impressive.
    If the company is laying off people to bring in the new ones, obviously "lack of qualified Americans" isn't the issue. And that has been the case with several tech firms.

When freaking Disney workers are getting the boot, they've jumped the shark.
    interesting. Disney has generally been considered one of the best places to work with great benefits and salaries and promoting from within

If the company is laying off people to bring in the new ones, obviously "lack of qualified Americans" isn't the issue. And that has been the case with several tech firms.
    yeah I don't know what's going on in that case. the threshold has always been pretty low though. in the silicon valley the other issue is a lot of the managers are indian and prefer to hire native born Indians rather than americans.
    Last edited by droski; 03-02-2016 at 03:48 PM.

But that isn't how it is supposed to be applied.
    It isn't and the Disney situation is likely clear misuse. I cannot go into detail but the company I work for has several employees on H-1B; these are typically highly skilled folks, however.

Quote Originally Posted by gcbvol View Post
    It isn't and the Disney situation is likely clear misuse. I cannot go into detail but the company I work for has several employees on H-1B; these are typically highly skilled folks, however.
    which is why I support the program. tech wages and employment are pretty strong now too, so i'm not seeing a huge reserve of people getting massively screwed by this. or at least not statistically.

Isn't every foreign grad student, for example, that gets a US job hired on a H1-B initially? It seems like a necessary tool to keep that talent here.

Quote Originally Posted by TennTradition View Post
    Isn't every foreign grad student, for example, that gets a US job hired on a H1-B initially? It seems like a necessary tool to keep that talent here.
    I don't see it as a negative at all.

There's been a few companies around here that list a job opening for well below market value, few to no people bite. Then turn around and try to get approval to use H1B visas to fill the slots.
    Nice to meet you. What pronoun should I use?

Anyone who has ever called an offshore support line can understand why this may not make sense. These programs show savings on paper which is how the execs are judged quality does not matter.

This is a complicated situation. This has been going on for about 20 years. If you don't bring in the foreign workers than the work is shipped offshore anyway. Engineers have been hit harder than IT. THIS IS NOT JUST A TECH WORKER ISSUE. These foreign workers are coming for your job regardless of what you do for a living. However it is very unfair that certain industries are specifically targeted with the visa programs.

Quote Originally Posted by TennTradition View Post
    Maybe one out of one thousand fall into this category

Quote Originally Posted by technovol View Post
    Anyone who has ever called an offshore support line can understand why this may not make sense. These programs show savings on paper which is how the execs are judged quality does not matter.

This is a complicated situation. This has been going on for about 20 years. If you don't bring in the foreign workers than the work is shipped offshore anyway. Engineers have been hit harder than IT. THIS IS NOT JUST A TECH WORKER ISSUE. These foreign workers are coming for your job regardless of what you do for a living. However it is very unfair that certain industries are specifically targeted with the visa programs.
    The people who come to this country with masters and PhDs are hardly the same folks answering phones at 3 am in India

yeah I don't know what's going on in that case. the threshold has always been pretty low though. in the silicon valley the other issue is a lot of the managers are indian and prefer to hire native born Indians rather than americans.
    This is true if you are a local candidate in many cases you have zero percent chance of getting hired by an Indian manager.

The people who come to this country with masters and PhDs are hardly the same folks answering phones at 3 am in India
    I didn't say they were. Compare a US (or even Hong Kong for that matter) customer support agent to and Indian customer support agent. Same chasm exists in professional jobs.

This is true if you are a local candidate in many cases you have zero percent chance of getting hired by an Indian manager.
    That's absolutely a problem. I briefly worked in the Silicon Valley on the finance side and it was a big problem for the the managers of the engineers and programmers some who seemed to only hire Indian born employees. I had one flat out tell me that Americans (which I took to mean white Americans) were just lazy and not as smart. I reported the dipshit. He's now worth like $50 mil though, so maybe he was right. Ha ha
    Last edited by droski; 03-02-2016 at 11:30 PM.

I didn't say they were. Compare a US (or even Hong Kong for that matter) customer support agent to and Indian customer support agent. Same chasm exists in professional jobs.
    I'd argue that chasm exists because being a native speaker gives you a huge advantage in customer support. Not sure that's true to the same degree in tech. I don't think the problem is education or work ethic.

I'd argue that chasm exists because being a native speaker gives you a huge advantage in customer support. Not sure that's true to the same degree in tech. I don't think the problem is education or work ethic.
    Respectfully disagree.

Respectfully disagree.
    Well perhaps it also depends where they are educated. The American college educated ones seem to be better in my experience.

I dated a girl that got one of these.
    Balls deeep... "I pretty much love all of the fast and furious movies."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast