Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogan: Escaping Scientology

The law is of supreme importance, or no importance.
    Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy

Status
    See Ignore List

Default Rogan: Escaping Scientology

First, I don't know shit about Scientology, beyond whatever I've gleaned in casual passing - e.g. Tom Cruise, some sort of weird money-making system, South Park hates them, etc.. I guess that I've always just chalked it up to being like unions, college protest groups, Presbyterians, men who wear square-toed shoes, and people who take hot yoga classes, which is to say, well-known but largely harmless cults.

But, I listen to Joe Rogan's podcast, and often go back through his archives for things I may have missed, and recently ran across this snippet of his interview with Ron Miscavige, the father of the Scientology's CEO / High Priest (?) / leader David Miscavige, as he described his clandestine escape from Scientology.

It's interesting, to say the least, but I thought it might also serve as an impetus for a discussion on Scientology itself, as I'd like to learn more about them, and your collective thoughts on the matter.

It's a money making scheme, where the leaders started believing they were all powerful because some rather un extraordinary people gained extraordinary wealth and power.

I like square toe'd shoes, and wear them often.
    Do unto others before they do unto you

A bar bet that went bad.
    "Almost all close games are lost by the losers, not won by the winners." - Gen Neyland

Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy Tenacious D Excellent & Trustworthy

Status
    See Ignore List

Anyone here a scientologist, or had any personal experience with one?

I do wonder how IP's argument on removing the tax-exempt status of churches might be perceived, after learning that this group also enjoys the same exempt status. A compelling argument could be made for its removal, simply by using Scientology as the chief amongst sinners, IMO.

I think we've had some discussions on Scientology before. I think someone has done a reading?
    Do unto others before they do unto you

Lyle's lynch mob community organizer
    IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy

Status
    See Ignore List

It's awful. Being born into scientology is no different than being born a slave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac61 View Post
    I tried. I will continue to embarrass you in front of your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by IP View Post
    It's awful. Being born into scientology is no different than being born a slave.
    It's a wretched organization.

If you want tax exempt status, I think your books should be open.

Looking at you, NFL.

I am sure there is an argument against this, but I am having a hard time thinking of one. It would be amazing to see what some of these mega-churches are paying their pastors.
    "Almost all close games are lost by the losers, not won by the winners." - Gen Neyland

And how are they Scientologists not under investigation for unlawful confinement?

Status
    See Ignore List

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisAlan View Post
    If you want tax exempt status, I think your books should be open.

Looking at you, NFL.

I am sure there is an argument against this, but I am having a hard time thinking of one. It would be amazing to see what some of these mega-churches are paying their pastors.
    I can't imagine any scenario by which the NFL should enjoy tax-exempt status. That's insane.

The "open-book" policy on tax exempt entities is an interesting one. Card or someone else with actual expertise can weigh in, but I was thinking that this info was already publicly available, somewhere. But then, some entities could just choose to make it publicly available, or part of it, even absent a legal requirement.

I'm not aware of a single church that doesn't make it's expenses known to its members, and which would certainly include the pastor's salary, but that's just my own personal experience. But I'd never consider attending any church that didn't make its financials well and widely known.

Status
    See Ignore List

Is this hyperbole?

Legit ask - again, I know very little about them.

Status
    See Ignore List

Quote Originally Posted by fl0at_ View Post
    I think we've had some discussions on Scientology before. I think someone has done a reading?
    Let's nominate a few here to go and get readings.

I nominate IP and TennTra, so long as someone films and posts the footage here.

This concludes the nomination process.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious D View Post
    Let's nominate a few here to go and get readings.

I nominate IP and TennTra, so long as someone films and posts the footage here.

This concludes the nomination process.
    Beyond a doubt they would not let you film it.

IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy

Status
    See Ignore List

Is this hyperbole?

Legit ask - again, I know very little about them.
    You are conditioned to work for little or no compensation. If you leave the group, they bill you hundreds of thousands for your board and upkeep. It isn't hyperbole. Check out the HBO special going clear.

I've read and listened a lot about scientology, but I'm on mobile right now.

Norris wasn't kidding about this starting as a bar bet, by the way. Hubbard bet that he could start a religion and make money fooling people.

Status
    See Ignore List

You are conditioned to work for little or no compensation. If you leave the group, they bill you hundreds of thousands for your board and upkeep. It isn't hyperbole. Check out the HBO special going clear.

I've read and listened a lot about scientology, but I'm on mobile right now.

Norris wasn't kidding about this starting as a bar bet, by the way. Hubbard bet that he could start a religion and make money fooling people.
    WTF is this bullshit? I didn't know if you were kidding. Guess not.

WTF is this bullshit? I didn't know if you were kidding. Guess not.
    Stacey Carosi did a recent documentary on her leaving "the church".

You need to watch it.

Status
    See Ignore List

Tenny, they currently forbid pregnancy without permission and force members to abort.

Status
    See Ignore List

They teach children to spy on their parents, spouses to spy on one another, and report behavior that is not in line with the church.

If you speak out, all of your family and friends shun you and act as if you're dead because you are a "subversive." If you continue to speak out against the church, you are often followed, sabotaged, and sued at every available opportunity.

Status
    See Ignore List

Some European countries have banned this church as a cult, but it still enjoys protection in the US. It is as close to the antichrist of revelation as I hope we ever see, in that it completely takes hold of people's lives while masquerading as a wholesome group for the benefit of mankind, with fancy movie star members.

Leah Remini's show about exposing Scientology was both educating & scary.

That said, I'll perform "audits" on anyone that needs one. I'll give you a good price. I just won't tell you what the price is until after you've grabbed the cans & the audit is complete.

Status
    See Ignore List

Also, Joe Rogan is a gentleman scholar. I disagree with him on some things, bur he always does his homework before taking a strong position and is great at asking good questions. He should pursue office, imo.

They teach children to spy on their parents, spouses to spy on one another, and report behavior that is not in line with the church.

If you speak out, all of your family and friends shun you and act as if you're dead because you are a "subversive." If you continue to speak out against the church, you are often followed, sabotaged, and sued at every available opportunity.
    I bet North Korea allows Scientology
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Country Vol View Post
    What i saw last night was Stoops playing a well crafted game of chess. Jones was playing a game of checkers moving his piece back and forth like an idiot to avoid the king.
    9/13/15

Status
    See Ignore List

NK doesn't like competition. The two systems have a lot in common

NK doesn't like competition. The two systems have a lot in common
    True.
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Country Vol View Post
    What i saw last night was Stoops playing a well crafted game of chess. Jones was playing a game of checkers moving his piece back and forth like an idiot to avoid the king.
    9/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by The Dooz View Post
    Stacey Carosi did a recent documentary on her leaving "the church".

You need to watch it.
    Love the name. Woulda pounded back in day. Still no Kapowski.
    Fire them all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast