Thread: Article: The Halfcourt Trap: The Trap 10, Serious Business Edition.

Default Article: The Halfcourt Trap: The Trap 10, Serious Business Edition.

'Excuses are the tools of the incompetent." Mike Tomlin.

5. It's easier to fire one coach than trade most of an NBA roster. That truism led to Paul Westphal being terminated as coach of the Scaramento Kings this week. Demarcus Cousins and Tyreke Evans, the nominal cornerstones of the Sacramento rebuilding program, had completely tuned out Westphal. Keith Smart now gets a shot at fixing what ails the Kings. They have a new coach. A psychiatrist would be more help. I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Maloofs should move the team to Las Vegas, then hire new basketball people. Otherwise, they're back to permanent Mitch Richmond Era irrelevance.
    I'm not sure there is a coach in the world that could keep Demarcus Cousins tuned in. When one of the main cogs of your franchise is that guy -- and I acknowledge his tremendous talent in the game of basketball -- a team of psychiatrists should be staffed.

8. Officials have a tough job. There's no debate about that. No matter what they do, someone is going to accuse them of being incompetent, corrupt, or both. That said, it's not too much to expect them to pick up that a team has six players on the floor for over twenty seconds at the end of a tight game. Louisiana-Lafayette parlayed their de facto power play into a winning basket against Western Kentucky. That's thoroughly unacceptable. If any of those guys are allowed to call another game this season, there's something seriously wrong with the system. It's wrong to expect perfection from referees. It's equally wrong to act as if they are above valid criticism.
    Have you ever heard of anything like this happening before? The oversight is so egregious it makes me chuckle.