Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1717

Thread: Game of Thrones

Also, has anyone ever mentioned whether Essos is any danger from the white walkers? Would they head East and cross an ocean after conquering Westeros? Does winter come to some of those desert city states? Would Essos armies be willing to come across the Narrow Sea to help? Looks like Westeros is going to be short on fighting forces. Battle of the Bastards took out a ton of the North's forces. Lannister army is toast. Dorne and Highgarden's armies are gone, too.

Lyle's lynch mob community organizer
    IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy

Status
    See Ignore List

Quote Originally Posted by kptvol View Post
    Also, has anyone ever mentioned whether Essos is any danger from the white walkers? Would they head East and cross an ocean after conquering Westeros? Does winter come to some of those desert city states? Would Essos armies be willing to come across the Narrow Sea to help? Looks like Westeros is going to be short on fighting forces. Battle of the Bastards took out a ton of the North's forces. Lannister army is toast. Dorne and Highgarden's armies are gone, too.
    It is speculated in the book The World of Ice and Fire that Essos may also be connected to the The Land of Always Winter, and there are parallel myths of WW-like things in the Land of Ashai, which is at the far eastern end of Essos (and seems to be an equivalent of East Asia, so undoubtedly they have a culture of "saving face").

Apparently in the worst winters, winter does reach all the way down to Dorne at its peak. I don't think we have any info on whether that is true in Essos. I think we can assume it is similar to Westeros, otherwise no one would want to live in Westeros. I think it was mentioned somewhere in a non-core GoT book that the Summer Isles get their name because they do not experience any winter. This implies that Essos and even Qarth and Slaver's Bay do to some extent. Also note that GRRM has been clear that the seasons of his world are not mundane, but rather magical. There is not some Earth-Sun dynamic going on, or at least he had no mundane explanation in mind when writing it. Some math guy did work out a hypothetical orbital situation that could explain variable years-long seasons, but GRRM said that was entertaining but not canon.

The Essos army is a good question. I'd be interested to know if Daario could show up with reinforcements. I don't have a good answer for you. Even if the WW are an eventual threat to Essos, I don't know if those city-states would fully recognize it until Westeros had already fallen.

Ya, Jon said the North had about 10,000 fighting men left at this point. That's compared to Rob Stark's 25k northern army and the Bolton's later 20k army. And one can assume they don't have a lot of experience within those ranks. Doesn't seem likely that the Lannisters will have more than 10k or so after the dragon strikes. I think they had like 30k or more at the start of the war of five kings. And they were all experienced. I don't think Dorne's army has seen any action, there just isn't any leadership left to gather and organize them. Ya, High Garden's army is basically whatever the Tarlys have plus anyone who fled/surrendered to the Lannisters. Riverlands are basically wiped, with no central leadership to organize around anyway. The Vale is basically intact, though. They are supposed to be high quality knights, but not huge in numbers. There probably aren't more of them than northerners left, so we could guess something like 10k. 20k at the most.

All of that against an army of the dead with at least 100,000+ wights, judging from the numbers of wildlings that used to be north of the wall. Could be multiples above that, and dozens to low hundreds of giants. And maybe giant ice spiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac61 View Post
    I tried. I will continue to embarrass you in front of your friends.

I thought Dorne's army was wiped out by Euron sinking the ships that were carrying them.

I thought Dorne's army was wiped out by Euron sinking the ships that were carrying them.
    It wasn't clear to me if they had picked up the army yet. But with the sand snakes on board, I assumed they had indeed already been to Dorne.

Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck
    fl0at_ Certified Teller of Truths fl0at_ Certified Teller of Truths

Status
    See Ignore List

The Dornish army would have marched north, while Danny marched south, to surround the Red Keep.

The ships were likely taking them back to Dorne to lead their army north.
    Do unto others before they do unto you

As I understand it:

The gold was already back along with the rest of Cerceis army.

The ones decimated were only a small group led behind to gather food

The Dorne army had not been picked up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VolDad View Post
    As I understand it:

The gold was already back along with the rest of Cerceis army.

The ones decimated were only a small group led behind to gather food

The Dorne army had not been picked up yet.
    Iron Bank guy said the gold had not arrived yet. Maybe it wasn't part of the force Dany leveled, but it isn't safe in King's Landing just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fl0at_ View Post
    The Dornish army would have marched north, while Danny marched south, to surround the Red Keep.

The ships were likely taking them back to Dorne to lead their army north.
    I thought Tyrion said Dorne was going to sail north to approach Kinn's Landing from the north, while Highgarden marched to hit them from the south.

But as Voldad mentioned, they very well may not have gotten the Dornish yet. Although, Dany did mention she had lost all her allies. Maybe she just meant that without Ellaria there was no Dornish leader willing to submit the army to Dany's orders.

Iron Bank guy said the gold had not arrived yet. Maybe it wasn't part of the force Dany leveled, but it isn't safe in King's Landing just yet.
    I has not made it to the iron bank yet; it is in Kings landing (first 30 seconds of this video) presumably with the rest of the army

Quote Originally Posted by VolDad View Post
    I has not made it to the iron bank yet; it is in Kings landing (first 30 seconds of this video) presumably with the rest of the army

I see. Even so, the Iron Bank may have some pause loaning her the money once tales of the dragons wiping out the Lannister soldiers reach them. They'd never get their money back if Cersei was overthrown.

IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy IP Excellent & Trustworthy

Status
    See Ignore List

The Iron Bank could be playing her, and has no intention of putting more loans out to her. Just saying so to get payment on the old one. Just speculating.

Status
    See Ignore List

I see. Even so, the Iron Bank may have some pause loaning her the money once tales of the dragons wiping out the Lannister soldiers reach them. They'd never get their money back if Cersei was overthrown.
    As Cersei said, Danny is a revolutionary. What's to stop her just happy having conquered Westeros, and ending slavery in the largest slaveh shipping area?

Everyone a fan of the status quo (i.e.: Iron Bank) should favor putting down the Mother of Dragons.

Status
    See Ignore List

Littlefinger knows Arya wiped out the Freys. Consider that.

How does he know that?

True; and there is still the matter of getting into he iron bank. I suspect the next dragon attack will be on some ships and roads have already proven hazardous.
    Last edited by VolDad; 08-12-2017 at 10:25 PM.

How does he know that?

Status
    See Ignore List

Well not because of her DNA at the Towers, that's for sure.

Status
    See Ignore List

Littlefinger has always had near as good information as anyone. Jamie knew that Walder Frey was dead, and probably the rest. Stands to reason Littlefinger knows as well.

And Arya told the girl, after she removed her Walder mask to tell everyone that "the North remembers."

You think that maybe she would have included a description of the 5'3" girl with brown hair?

Littlefinger has always had near as good information as anyone. Jamie knew that Walder Frey was dead, and probably the rest. Stands to reason Littlefinger knows as well.

And Arya told the girl, after she removed her Walder mask to tell everyone that "the North remembers."

You think that maybe she would have included a description of the 5'3" girl with brown hair?
    I thought perhaps there were some events I'd not noticed or forgotten. He likely suspects, especially after her display against Brienne, but he doesn't know.

Status
    See Ignore List

Fair point. But when Jaime discussed it, he made no mention of the North which I found odd. It's like it is some big mystery even though it was made clear by her that it was a Stark/the north that did it.

Status
    See Ignore List

I thought perhaps there were some events I'd not noticed or forgotten. He likely suspects, especially after her display against Brienne, but he doesn't know.
    In float's defense, he said he is always calculating all possible battles or whatever. If he suspects, he is at least considering the scenario that it is absolutely true.

Quote Originally Posted by IP View Post
    In float's defense, he said he is always calculating all possible battles or whatever. If he suspects, he is at least considering the scenario that it is absolutely true.
    Do you think maybe he recognized her fighting style as Braavosi? Maybe even the significance of "No one", if he could hear the conversation down there.
    Tennessee, sono solo con te, sempre per te, ma madonna, lo fai difficile qualche volta....

Quote Originally Posted by IP View Post
    Fair point. But when Jaime discussed it, he made no mention of the North which I found odd. It's like it is some big mystery even though it was made clear by her that it was a Stark/the north that did it.
    Yes; I think he said something like, "whoever took out the Frey's..."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQuickkick View Post
    Do you think maybe he recognized her fighting style as Braavosi? Maybe even the significance of "No one", if he could hear the conversation down there.
    I wouldn't think that would be something of which Littlefinger is knowledgeable.

I wouldn't think that would be something of which Littlefinger is knowledgeable.
    why not?
    Tennessee, sono solo con te, sempre per te, ma madonna, lo fai difficile qualche volta....

Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast