2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

First game. He will be fine.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How many guys played their first games tonight for Duke and Kansas? For UK? Can you point out any other highly touted recruits who scored 2 points or less against substantially better opponents?

I’m seriously asking.

3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

He’s not a very good shooter right now. That’s why I think he won’t go one and done. But he signed with the right coach to fix that.

A-Smith and justingroves like this.
  4. OneForVol

Go look at the box scores at those games. Kansas and Michigan St don’t even start freshmen. Duke had a few freshmen around 10 points, all of which had more shots than James. Maxey for Kentucky is the only the freshman that really shined tonight. Just settle down and give the kid some time. He’ll be ok. Congrats on the girlfriend btw.

5. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

This is actually JJJ’s MO. He doesn’t look for his shot. Barnes says they’ve been trying to correct, but he’s gonna choose a dish over points if he can right now. Pretty sure he ended up with 0 in the McDonalds AA game.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

10 points is a lot more than 2. If JJJ had scored 10 points, then saying "it was his first game" would have been a perfectly normal way to look at last night.

But he scored 2, on a team desperately in need of scoring options. And let's not pretend he was passing up shot after shot to dish easy buckets to his teammates. He only had 2 assists to go with his 2 points. And let's also not act like he didn't have opportunities to score. He was 1-5 from the field. Comparatively, Fulkerson, who has a 0.0% chance of ever sniffing an NBA contract, was 5/6 from the field with 10 points.

I didn't watch the game, so maybe y'all saw something I didn't. But I'm concerned that a guy whose name some people were mentioning in the same sentences with the phrase "one and done" scored 2 points against inferior competition in his first chance to shine on the collegiate level.

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

James right now just needs quit turning the ball over and distribute the ball, and play good defense. The scoring will come.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Can somebody get the manager for Karen over here?

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Fire everybody. Every last one of them.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Jjj wasnt trying to score. His shot needs help though and his intensity as well. I was more concerned with getting beat to balls. He looked a little lackadaisical after loose balls. He is big and smoothe though and needs to use his body to get to the rim.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Damn, even the new guy, Indy.

PilotFlyingJ, A-Smith and utvol0427 like this.
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This was a team-wide issue last night. I suspect Deacon will fix that

13. OneForVol

You failed to mention he had 6 rebounds.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes. We definitely saw something you didn't: the game. UNC-Asheville was playing press and man to man most of the game. It clearly did bother him, but not to the point that I am concerned given that it was a freshman's first game.

He's a work in progress. I'm not terribly worried. Many point guards have to learn to find their shots when transitioning to college.

JT5 likes this.
  15. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

This is pretty cool.

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. BigOrangeBeech

I really think this kid is going to be a great player for us at some point.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Gaines is going to do some contributing before he’s done too

18. BigOrangeBeech

He needs to contribute at the supper table.

But I agree.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How did the Florida freshmen do in their first game? Memphis? Those that watched the game haven't really said anything to help me feel better about his play.

This team desperately needs scoring options this season. I get that it's just one game, but it's not an ideal start for a player we were originally concerned may not be around next year to play with all the other talent we are bringing in. Hopefully he finds his shot soon.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not sure that looking at rebounds is the best way to evaluate a point guard. 6 assists, and I'd feel much better.