TN vs. UK

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Nov 3, 2019.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well, they would have kicked a tying field goal
    in the fourth had we not blocked that one extra point.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

@NYYVol can you give an X’s and O’s Explanation for what UT did in the 1st half vs the 2nd half on defense?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The linebackers stayed home and did their jobs is the simple explanation

Memtownvol, Oldvol75 and hohenfelsvol like this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Has Darell Middleton blocked two kicks this year?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Those offenses suck to defend.

It's odd Tennessee has a middle reliever quarterback

6. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

The entire QB situation this year is bizarre.

Even more so that it seems to be working for us. Kudos to JG regardless last night. The kid has balled out since that mishap against Bama.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

it was close to playing a Navy or Army type offense and as JGr said, they suck to defend. I wonder if one of the reasons they kept them deep was to try to prevent the long td runs when they did gash us or have us unbalanced. I also assume the goal vs an offense like that is to get them to 3rd and 3-5 and make stops.

8. Ssmiff

and regarding qbs getting subbed, why not. Every other position gets pulled. Never have understood leaving a qb in who is playing bad. Even if for a series or two. If a qb is too fragile to handle it then don't play him at all

9. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

There's a team dynamic variable with the QB position that isn't necessarily there for other positions.

A prime example would be how the team played in 2005 when we played musical chairs at QB.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That team had a whole lot more issues and might have gotten even crappier after we settled on Rick Clausen.

justingroves likes this.
  11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

There was at least three plays where both sides of our D line ran a twist and completely lost lane integrity resulting in everyone running around playing tag. It seemed like the D was looking for that kill shot on every play, which is fine and I like the aggressiveness, but you can’t do that against a triple option which is basically what Bowden was running.

12. Ssmiff

people talk about looking over your shoulder and not playing well if worried about getting benched. Screw that. If you can't handle the pressure of qb at UT and worry about playing bad and getting benched, too bad. Hope Maurer handled it ok. He wasn't happy.

13. Ssmiff

someone sent me a text with a stat that read "in the last 5 games, UT has given up 21 2nd half points."

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That's pretty damn solid.

hohenfelsvol and Tenacious D like this.
  15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Definitely fair to middlin', at the worst.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And 7 were garbage time and 7 more were on a defensive touchdown. The first team defense has given up 7 second-half points in the last four games. 14 in the last five.

justingroves likes this.
  17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Ok. Ok.

That is [uck fay]ing funny.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  19. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Keep doing these, I love it.

Bdouble and Tenacious D like this.
  20. Ssmiff

its as if the bama fumble, which turned into JG addressing the team, which he didn't do at the beginning of the year (he also said last night the first 2 losses of the year were on him), was a release for him. Teammates were pissed, he apologized, supported other qbs and now his voice is cracking after the game as he talks about Pruitt's support. The private and public support for a really tough situation should be going over better with recruits and their families.