Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I use it to listen to football and basketball games when I'm traveling.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

One Child Nation. Pretty rough look at the things they did to control their population. Ninety minutes of stories about abandoned babies left all over the streets to starve to death. Women saying they performed 50,000+ abortions and many of them were 8-9 months along. Many of them they allowed to be born, then killed the babies. Sorting through dumps full of babies in garbage bags. Hauling unwomen off to clinics, tying them down, then abortion and sterilization...

Aaaaand then at then very end she equates the US abortion restrictions with all that.

justingroves likes this.
  3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It’s uncomfortable just how mater of fact theChinese are about it - I get it, it’s woven into the cultural fabric, but still uncomfortable.

I work with a guy that was talking about singles day and bemoaning ‘it’s really funny, there are over 55% of the young population is male so there is a lot of competition’

And here I am thinking, ‘or not really funny’.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Several of the people interviewed shrugged and used the “What we were supposed to do? It was policy.” line.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"I was just following orders."

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Most of that country just seems bleak and depressing. Probably hard to get too riled up about anything.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

They’ve largely been socially engineered not to get riled up about anything.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah it’s truly amazing and although the western world has been far from perfect. It’s honestly crazy how much the enlightenment period improved things.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Just finished Band of Brothers, the first time I’ve seen it.

I’d say that it lived up to the hype, sizable as it has been. I struggled a little to always and perfectly keep up with all of the characters, but such was to be expected with such a huge cast. Just a fantastic series.

Have now started The Pacific, and while only one episode into it, it looks fantastic, too.

Both were produced by Play Tone, Tom Hanks’ production house, and who did an incredible job. Several years ago they bought the studio rights to Vincent Bugliosi’s masterwork, “Reclaiming History” on JFK’s assassination, with intentions on adapting it to a similar series. Hanks is a strong opponent of conspiracy theorists, and felt it was important to get it right, so as to challenge their narrative.

Last I read / heard anything, Hanks had said that it was such a robust work as to require more episodes than both Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Play Tone produced the feature-length film “Parkland” a few years ago, and which only covered the events from the shooting to leaving the hospital, and which was contained in a single chapter of “Reclaiming History”. That’s how robust of a work it is.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm on my first watch of BoB as well and agree that it lives up to every bit of the hype, which few things manage to do. I'm also glad that I'm just watching it now as I don't the it would have been as impactful for me had I watched it when it originally aired.

I've still not managed to start reading "Reclaiming History". Every time I sit down to start it, I get a little overwhelmed by the length (twnyys) and grab another book. Heading to the beach next week and think I'm going to take it with me and force myself to start it. I know once I get going I'll blow through it, but hard to get going.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

JFK didn't kill himself.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

skulls don't fracture at 20 mph! it was an outside job!

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I can't believe y'all are just now watching BoB. All time great series.

14. Tenacious D

UT, I’d highly recommend the audiobook, particularly if you’re driving to the beach.

The book can be overwhelming, for sure. It’s just such a huge topic, and he goes into such minute detail.....it’s a lot.

If you’d like some advice, and you don’t take this as my being a smartass....just start to the first chapter. Bugliosi opens the book by first telling you the story from beginning to end, and follows each of the most important characters in their own part of the story. It’s not only entertaining, but helpfully provides a necessary background and establishes a timeline of the most important events. When retrospectively viewed, its easy to mistakenly believe this was a clean, staid and largely linear series of rigidly controlled events. Instead, Bugliosi’s retelling helps you to not only see the whole story, but as they simultaneously occurred and relate to one another. For example, we know that there was half an hour or so when the world knew that JFK had been shot, but his condition wasn’t widely known.

You’ve got the police trying to figure out who shot JFK, while also managing the crowds quickly forming at Parkland Hospital and around Dallas, a large faction investigating the Texas School Book Depository, headquarters fielding an utter deluge of calls of inquiry from every news organization in the world, and hundreds of citizens coming into the precinct headquarters with worries that this is a Russian plot, wanting to ask about JFK’s health or to pass along tips, or who just need to feel safe and see the police station as the best place to do so.

And as descriptions, tips and a coordinating of resources are flooding and threatening to overwhelm the police radio system... a citizen’s voice crackles over the official channel police radio, informing them that an officer had just been shot in Oak Cliff, and was lying unconscious in a growing pool of his own blood. Worse, that was the only officer in that area, having been moved there for that shift, because they are so short-staffed, the region wouldn’t have been covered without him.

And then the report of a man sneaking into the Texas Theatre comes in, and who matches the description of the shooter - both in Dealey Plaza and the officer in Oak Cliff.

Then a report comes in from Parkland that the USSS is trying to abscond with the President’s body, after the city medical director was insisting that state law required the body to remain and be autopsied in Dallas. Subsequent reports noted that USSS and Dallas PD actually got into a shoving match over the President’s body, that agents drew their weapons on the officers before barging past them, and were now streaking back to Love Field, so as to load up the body and leave Texas, in violation of local and state law.

It’s absolute bedlam, not over the course of seconds, but minutes and hours, and there’s a lot of import things that are overlapping and competing for attention.

Buliosi untangles it all at the beginning, and it may be the best place to start.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Started BOB myself. Was gonna make fun until Schwimmer disappeared. I couldnt have handled much of him

16. Tenacious D

I hate him and that character, equally.

17. Tenacious D

I want you both to know that I read these, was disappointed, but didn't otherwise feel the need to respond to the outlandish claims of a quack doctor and a wack scientist.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I understand if anti-Semitic rants take priority.

19. Tenacious D

Fair.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

In undergrad, I had a professor that looked just like Schwimmer. Even way overgelled his hair. Best part was that he taught archaeology, just like Ross. Anyway, I kind of thought this was a belief only I held. Then one day he's going on about something and says something like, "And I was just talking with a friend of mine..." and someone kind of hollers out "Was it Chandler?" Lots of snickers.