Pruitt - Two Year Review

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 1, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Pros -

Culture has changed. This team developed an attitude this season and expected to win down the stretch. Defense is starting to go in the direction he wants. Players are noticeably stronger and injuries seem down drastically. Players seem to have bought in. We are actually a half-decent SEC program again.

Cons -

O line still needs to get better. QB play is far from settled even if JG returns. Losing a whole lot of targets in the passing game. Still a lot of undisciplined football at times. Being around 20 in recruiting won't cut it over time.

Overall analysis -

We are headed in right direction but still have a long ways to go to get where we want to be. First glance on paper says 8-4 next year but we really need to beat one of the big 3 or OU on the schedule. I'm certain he will get us to respectability again, but jury is still out on if he can make us a top 10 program again.

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Same here, brother. I'm unironically saying that we need to be patient.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Im waiting to hear if 1989 is in or out this week.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Year one: F. Was cruising toward a C, but bombed the final exam against Vanderbilt. If it were an actual exam, it would be as if the test was four pages and he didn’t even notice the last three.

Year two: D. Overslept for the first exam and tried his best avoid having to retake the class, and although later tests showed signs of grasping the concepts, you can’t overcome a zero.

utvol0427 likes this.
  5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Our grades were good enough to study abroad, so...

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The lines of scrimmage give me the best hope that this thing is going the right way. Curious to see if we can close strong in recruiting for 2 straight years. I think we will.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

.500 after 2 years. I would gave taken that after Butch. I think the Pruitt experiment should continue. this may take awhile but the improvement under him is undeniable.

Memtownvol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Our ascension will have to look more like Clemson’s than Alabama’s or Georgia’s. But if Pruitt can keep these coordinators in place and sign some top 10 classes, we can be right back in the conference championship and playoff hunt regularly.

OrangeBlood79 and Tenacious D like this.
  9. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Year 2 grade isn't decided yet. Because of all the hard work we put in over the year, the bowl game is the make up exam.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Year 2 is carrying a C average (finishing dead on preseason projections is a C, right?) into the final, but there are rumors that the prof might throw out a tough test but make it purely extra credit (Florida bowl game against a top 15 team)

11. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

So by this logic, if you predict 12-0 with National Championship and they make it, is that a C?

reverendgeneral likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

He's doing aight. Had to get some players out of there and others to get on board. Staff taking GST for granted was bad. Bet it won't happen again. Still coulda won with competent qb play and byu is still on JG, by his own admission.
    I don't see many boneheaded in game decisions. In game adustments seem solid. Staying behind his players is A+. Keeping stuff inside the team as well. Willingness to change coaches and players in all positions seems to be there. Changing the culture finally seems to be happening. Hell we are hopefully headed to 8-5 in year 2, which is above what many predicted, right?
    I don't know what grade to give. It would be by semesters, and look similar to my first few at UT on paper, but there has been improvement at every position except punter over the last 2 years.
    Problem I see for year 3 is what will happen at qb. JG will still always have the ability to revert, as he did early vs Vandy as they suckered him into checks and throws. Don't really feel like we are much better next year than this as far as record, so I would rather us just move on to the next qb.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It’s not a perfect heuristic, but it does prevent us from saying silly things like hitting the point that everyone figured was the most likely record is worthy of a D grade.

That said, I’m thinking more of Vegas odds than Joe Fan’s prediction. If somebody is an odds-on favorite to win a title (which I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of in this sport), and then you scraped into a title, then maybe it would be a C.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pruitt is figuring out how to be a head coach and the team is figuring out how to play for him.

GSU was inexcusable. Tennessee isn't 24 points worse than UF. Guarantano still needs to leave after the bowl. He needs to hang 40 on people before jerking the starters out. He's got to land a few playmakers recruiting wise too.

That being said, the defensive improvement is very nice. Nearly every recruit he's signed has played well at times. The attitude and culture has shifted dramatically as well.

He gets a C+, he's met the minimum that was expected but he's won more SEC games than anyone thought he would.

VOLinDAWGland and TDVol1989 like this.
  15. Ssmiff

Yeah C+. Maybe a B- with bonus points for uniting a locker room full of kids who hadnt had anyone show them how to play winning football.

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I’d bump him to a B if he could manage a top 15 recruiting class and a bowl win.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

C+

Shit the bed early but kept from getting kicked out of school.

18. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I said at the beginning that 8 wins should be the expectation and that 7 wins was tolerable. So I’ll tolerate it until next season when 9+ should be the goal.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We lost to Georgia State and BYU. We played three teams that won more than seven games and all three beat us by three scores or more. Most of the games against the lesser opponents were tight.

The defense got better and JG is no longer the worst QB on the planet 24/7, but the results are still nothing special. We wasted year one and now we got a year one type year in year two.

warhammer and utvol0427 like this.
  20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

It's almost as if there were more problems than just executing on game day.