Pruitt - Two Year Review

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 1, 2019.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I don't either, but I am curious about he'd look with two seasons with same staff and system.

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Shenanigans ?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

it is worth taking about how a .500 pruitt is not the same as a Dooley or Jones situation. Dooley just isn't a good coach. He's knowledgeable, organization focused, but seems to not be able to adapt to changing situations. He thinks he already knows everything, as if coaching is a question of just knowing stuff. We weren't going to get any better with him. there was no growth. there was an opportunity cost to him being here.

Jones isn't even really a coach. He may actually be, 100% legitimately, not smart. At all. He runs a football program like it is a cargo cult. Every year he was here had a massive opportunity cost.

Pruitt, while still learning, is a legitimate coach. He is actually improving players' chances of playing professionally. He is actually developing players as student-athletes and future working citizens, rather than treating them as tools to be used and dropped or shelved.

there is no inherent opportunity cost with Pruitt. We are improving. We are building up. And with some continuity, he has a good shot at getting us competitive again.

I said before that as long as the record is improving, I think I should be satisfied. well, he took a 4-8 team to 5-7, and now 7-5. He's doing it. He doesn't have a magic wand, but he is doing it.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Shenanigans?!

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

JG aspires to play in the NFL.

I didn’t think Rick Clausen or Matt Simms would have made NFL rosters, either.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nepotism got Simms an invitation to training camp. The only Clausen to make an NFL roster was Jimmy

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The NFL is so starved for QBs they will probably give him a chance somewhere.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

On a realistic note, I very seriously doubt he can even make a practice squad. Dobbs is barely hanging on in the 3 deep in J'ville and he is an order of magnitude better QB in every aspect than JG.

utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dobbs would be the starter for Pittsburgh if they had not become infatuated with Mason Rudolph

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not saying he should have been a starter, but still amazed Casey never got a good look.

Memtownvol likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Pitt fans were ready for Dobbs. Bad move by them. He coulda looked like a knockoff Lamar

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

But then they wouldn't be kicking people's asses with Duck Hodges. Sounds like a damn movie.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It always seemed to me he did well when ever he got in. Is he just a guy that needs the lights to be on? I mean, we always heard he didn’t practice well here

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

The team is still undisciplined at times, hopefully we can chalk that up to youth. What absolutely must improve is game management. There were too many times this year where we screwed up end of half situations, didn’t know when to take timeouts, having to take timeouts coming out of a timeout. That’s inexcusable at this level and will come back to bite Pruitt in the ass if he doesn’t get it corrected.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

way too many substitution errors, even out of stoppages. that should be very fixable.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

It was a different League in 2004. If you couldn't drop back and throw it 40 yards you wouldn't get a second glance.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Being able to throw it 75 on your knees, a useful football skill if I ever heard of one, would get you picked no. 1

justingroves likes this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Got Jeff George a lot of money.

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

George could play. He just also happened to be such a stupendous asshole that people would rather lose without him than win with him.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

D+
    GA State and BYU still happened. Remember the worst loss in the history of the program specualtion/posts? This team rolled nobody worth a helmet full of crap. They went from severely underachieving to meeting basic expectations. Moral victories against UGA and bammer are worth only slightly more than a life championship if you can use them to reel in some big name recruits. This was last year's expectations today. I don't hate where the program is, but I'll admit I'm desperate.

utvol0427 likes this.