Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Oh shit, if tOSU fans think you are arrogant, time to go on a silent retreat and reexamine your life.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Schools that don’t win historically. Problem with uw folks is they think they are usc all because James roided up a bunch of guys and won a couple of NCs when usc was awful

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Look, in both of UW's national championship seasons, all they really did was beat that year's Big 10 media chosen one in the Rose Bowl. They played no one from the South or the East. Those shouldn't even count. The Big 10/Pac 10 circle jerk is such bullshit.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

who did Alabama beat from the west in their nc runs?

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Who was good enough to get there?

But also, [uck fay] Alabama and every single one of their titles, the real ones but especially the made up ones.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

beats me

7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

They battled some very good USC teams during their 70s runs. USC was their one blemish in '78.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Where are most of the US population, most of the universities, located?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

North east where no one plays college football

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would you say, east of the Mississippi or west of the Mississippi? Seems odd to never play a team east of the Mississippi and be crowned champion. It used to be that the Big 10 would get all hyped, go play a guaranteed road game against whatever floated to the top of the Pacific, and force major media to crown the winner. Nevermind the South or Southeast. Some folks look at the recent SEC dominance as an isolated trend. Well, SEC, Clemson, FSU, Miami... The truth is, the best football has always been played in the South. Always. It is just harder to ignore in today's sports media saturation.

I am not a born southerner. This is just simple observation.

11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Are you genuinely wanting to discuss this because I find it interesting trying to spot the various trends of CFB history.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm 50% just poking droski, but we should start a thread.

13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Okay, I'll start one in a minute. Sending you a message in a minute btw

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Density of African American population across the southeast makes it far and away the most talent-rich region. No coincidence the SEC and Southeast region schools put more pros into the League and win more national championships.

IP likes this.
  15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

The economic life/death of Detroit correlating Midwest football success is also a fun one.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the cold high density population areas don’t have good college football. And btw pretty sure Washington played Miami

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Washington_Huskies_football_team

beat 3 top 10 teams including Nebraska at their height, Michigan, and a cal team that obliterated Clemson in their bowl game.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see two claimed national titles: 1960 and 1991. The school furthest east they played in each:
    1960- Navy, and Washington lost
    1991- Toledo, in Seattle

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Exactly. Nebraska was still running their prehistoric 50 defense in '91. Their switch to the 43 in 1993 is what jump started their dominance.