Pruitt - Two Year Review

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 1, 2019.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We had a mediocre season, but because we did so insanely shitty out of the gate, mediocre is great! And then even if we lose another one, that’d be even greater! Anchor the [uck fay] down, [itch bay]es!

utvol0427 likes this.
  2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’m pretty sure he played in a preseason game his first year out.

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I remember hearing at the time that he rubbed ppl wrong in training camp.

4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Based purely on talent, how do you think this team stacks up compared to the previous 5 teams ?

IP likes this.
  5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, this season was pretty much shit. Beat no one better than us, lost two inexcusable games, 4+ TD beat downs to UF and UGA, struggled with shitty Mizzou and UK teams. Currently in the bottom half of the conference in recruiting rankings, just barely ahead of MSU and UK.

The coaching staff gets no credit for "rebounding" to finish 7-5 when their incompetence was the reason we needed to rebound.

warhammer and kmf600 like this.
  6. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I cannot comprehend this way of thinking. We aren't noticably better than SoCar, Miss St, and Missouri yet beat all three without any tricks or gimmicks.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Vols clearly better* than all 5 of the SEC teams they beat. SC is the only one of these games where score wasn’t much closer than the team differential. This was absolutely not true in 2018. We got better. If they get as much better between now and next year as we did from 2018 to 2019 (unlikely since we lose our best players) then we will be back in the hunt. We need to quit making so many mistakes and get better in the red zone.

*By better I mean better on the field of play because of, not in spite of, the fact that they are being coached up and developed. I’m not arguing with Huffman here

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Why wouldnt they get credit for improvement in record and play. Isnt that what we want? 200 yard rushers. 100 yards receivers Multiple players of the week.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think we turned the corner. We were playing pretty damn physical football the second half, especially for today’s standard.

That’s a huge cornerstone to build on especially after our last two coaches.

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  10. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah the mentality of this coach has trickled down for sure. If he wants to win the SEC though, at some point hes gonna have to pair the toughness with some top 5 recruiting classes.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a chicken and egg thing, imo. He has to really challenge for it to get the Top 5 class.

12. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

The team turned a corner and Pruitt did as well, maybe even moreso.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Pruitt is still finding his voice as a coach but he’s still rough around the edges.

Time management is going to cost him some games. He doesn’t seem to have a natural feel for that yet.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

How many of those games were we favored to win?

Count’em off for me.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

As I recall, we have been favored in only one conference game this year: Vanderbilt.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It was the first conference game we've been favored in since 2016 Vandy, I believe.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya, people seem to be unable to accept how bad we have been until the last 9 games or so

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

that will come with time. He’s spent a lifetime as a DC.

his greatest accomplishment so far has been relinquishing play-calling duties on defense... and also hiring Jim to where he literally doesn’t have to do shit on the offensive side.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Not many, because they lost to [uck fay]ing Georgia State and BYU. Again, no credit for winning games as an underdog when being an underdog was due to their own incompetence to start the season.

20. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Rating your team based on your desire that they should be top of your division versus the reality that they've been dead last and then disappointed with their record when they climb up to 3rd makes for a miserable existence. Did they improve...yes, are there signs of future improvement...yes, were we entertained...oh he'll yes good and infuriatingly bad but entertained we were. Do we like the emerging physical style and culture of the team...I do. Do we finally have a HC and staff that aren't ridiculous failures...best staff since Kiffin.
    We're not where we want to be yet but I feel much better about where are and where we're headed.

reVOLt likes this.