POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What position out there, exactly, is done without something in return?

I suppose people get in to your job because they expect to just give, give, give, right?

I don't see politics as anything different than any other profession.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's different when you are talking about running for public office. getting that job requires more sacrifices and promises and shady behavior than becoming a financial planner.

3. fl0at_

Really? Looking back at the number of financial planners jailed for rip off schemes and straight embezzlement, vs the same, in politics, would be an interesting exercise...

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd be willing to bet as a percentage that the number of politicians is significantly higher.

5. fl0at_

I'd be careful, there are about a million public offices in every city. Not sure that prison stats include profession.

6. fl0at_

It's dirty, but I've got a total of 519,682 elected officials in the US (https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...-the-United-States-The-answer-is-mind-blowing).

vs

300,000 estimate by Google on financial planners.

So you'd need 1.6x politicians to be jailed per financial planners, just to break even.

I think you'd lose that bet.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

8. fl0at_

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

10. fl0at_

Possibly.

But you really think it's no contest that from 2010 to present that fewer than 4 financial planners were convicted of crimes in the state of Tennessee? (Because that was Tennessee's politics number) Mind, these are all crimes for politicians. So all crimes for financial planners should be fair game.

You don't think in 9 years, there were 4 domestics, or fraud, or ... whatever, in all the financial planners, in all of Tennessee? Even if we narrow financial planners to just financial related schems as originally stated... in 9 years.. all of Tennessee, that the number of definitely fewer than 4?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

oh i thought we were assuming crimes committed in that role. probably fewer than 4. new york has 20. i'll take those odds.

12. fl0at_

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

far cry from getting disciplined to actually getting convicted of a crime. of people who have had their licensed revoked, i bet only 1/5 at most face criminal charges.

14. fl0at_

Getting exact numbers on this is hard, like Forbes cites 7.3% of financial advisors have been cited for abuses, but these abuses range from customer disputes, which is useless, civil cases, which is getting there, but also useless, to criminal cases.

But your job isn't a revolving door like a politician, which is going to decrease their overall percentage, just because a new one will be in place in 2 years.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah people sue sometimes just because the market dropped. even things like churning accounts or willful ignorance likely only go civil. you have to be legitimately embezzling funds from customer accounts which btw is extremely difficult to do in this day and age for your standard investment professional because of the way custodians work. you have to be a guy like bernie working off the grid.

16. fl0at_

This one (https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/09/is-your-financial-advisor-a-criminal-stats-say.html) is getting closer, it's 2% have criminal, of that 2%, 8% was fraud related. The 2% of active is probably more than the political, because that's like 6,000.

But the just fraud, 8% of 2% is only 480. So that would be closer. But that's just active.

I'm not so sure that 8% of 2% is a higher rate than the x of 530,000 in the political side. Not significantly, at least.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

right but most of those are duis and things like that. you wont' still have your license if you committed criminal acts on the job.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

No; Woodrow Wilson.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who you calling a rough rider? Are you making a pass at me?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This jobs report is truly staggering. Wow