X-Cast on Basilio 12/4/19

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Basilio did a special podcast with “X”, his insider / recruiting guru, and which touched on a range of topics, and which is worth a listen.

I know that opinions vary, here and elsewhere, on Basilio’s sometimes over-the-top approach. I certainly get that, but also understand that he’s always entertaining, and which some too easily and often forget is sort of the whole point. But I also think he’s easily the best amongst the local media, insofar as how well he’s plugged into the program and in his willingness to say and discuss more than most. I’m certain that there are others in the local media who are just as widely and deeply connected as Basilio, if not much better - but ultimately, if they won’t tell you what they know, and what you want and pay them to tell you, until Tennessee approves it....what good does it do? I also know him to be a genuinely good dude, just as a human being, and who is both harder working and more sincere in representing the fans than he is given credit for.

I’m no apologist for the dude, but that’s just my upfront $.02 on the inevitable back and forth that mentioning him often spurs. And again, I get that he inspires different reactions and opinions in different people.

I’ll post a brief synopsis of what I think are the most newsworthy segments (with app. time stamps) from this episode, but the podcast is well worth an hour listen (via Basilio’s new app or his website), and my take is no suitable substitute to hearing it first had and for yourself. You can find it at the link below.

Link: http://tonybasilio.com/index.php?page=mp3_archives&which_shows=tony#archive_player

2. Tenacious D

Overall Recruiting Board (1:50)
    Losing the first two games really hurt us on the high end 4-5*’s, as many passed on us then.

The top shelf closed, we’re now working on the second tier of recruits, by and large.

TN Coaching Staff / Changes
    We’ve got coaches (plural) on the current staff who know that their jobs are in jeopardy, and who aren’t recruiting as actively as they should be.

Basilio and X agree that there will likely be 3-4 changes to the current staff.

Replacement Coaching Candidates (6:55)
    Basilio mentioned that we’re actively trying to lure a couple of coaches back to college from “sinking ships” in the NFL.

He specifically said that Tosh Lupoi (sp?) is NOT who he is talking about or who is amongst the two he’s alluding to as being actively pursued.

X mentioned that we will likely lose a coach who leaves for another job / the NFL, and who we don’t want to leave, but that such is the nature of the business. He also said that just as some college coaches will want to go to the NFL, there are NFL coaches who want to come back to college, and that every change has a ripple effect on both levels.

He didn’t mention a specific name, in any direction, either current or prospective coaches.

McClendon at USC (3:40)
    Muschamp’s demoting McClendon from OC to WR coach may open the door for Pruitt to finally lure him away, and which he’s unsuccessfully tried to do in the recent past.

He’s an ace recruiter, and probably the best on the USC staff.

X mentioned that he could coach WR’s and Tee could switch to coach QB’s.

X says he doesn’t know if there have even been discussions with McClendon and isn’t saying that he’s coming, but he wouldn’t be shocked if they’ve had discussions.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Marion Hobby is the NFL coach he's talking about.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Hope Ansley’s not the coach he’s alluding to leaving for the NFL. Really hoping to see some continuity at the coordinator positions around here for a few seasons.

thagodfather, A-Smith and Memtownvol like this.
  5. Tenacious D

Other Coaching Staff Changes
    Tennessee has gotten back in with a host of recruits from staffs who have been fired / changed. This has caused upheaval of “explosive” change to our board.

Tennessee has done an excellent job in moving quickly on these opportunities.

Not Visiting Some Committments (8:10)
    X says that there is a DL prospect out of Bama who we took a flyer on, earlier, but who he doesn’t think that we’ve visited during the open period. That’s telling to him, as he thinks it’s proof that we can do better at that position, and are probably trying.

X added that it doesn’t help that we’ve already got a guy on campus who fits that bill in Jordan Allen, and wonders if we still want to spend a scholly on another.

We just sent a contingent of coaches out to West TN, both to check in on a couple of commitments and to see a couple of Briarwood kids that we are also pursuing - Omari Thomas & Jabari Small. But we’ve got another commitment that’s only an hour away and we didn’t check in on him. X is clear that they may make other plans to do so at a later date, but even still, it’s somewhat important to note that they didn’t visit him this time.

6. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Now there's a name from the past. He hasn't been here since 98 per wikipedia. Wow.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe Ansley likes college better than the NFL.

Memtownvol likes this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't see McClendon at South Carolina next year. The only reason he got the OC job was because he had an offer to come here when Pruitt was putting together his first staff. He got promoted and David Johnson got his spot.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hobby, Cobb and Hayworth went with our big group to Hilton Head back in spring or summer '89. I dont remember talking to them much, as a few of us spent 2 days eating mushrooms, but do recall being in awe as a freshman at how huge they were. They looked 30 to me.
    We also had to take a guy to the hospital after he tried to eat what was supposed to be the hottest wing around. His lips blistered and he sat inside. Crazy to spend 3 days somewhere, and after 30 years, I only remember seeing them once, and the wing deal. Where did the other 2.5 days go.

10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Ansley was my first thought. He, Moose, and Chaney are the guys I really want to keep. Friend deserves credit for getting the OL to gel, too.

IP likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Chaney will try to retire here if possible imo. Its been his wife's favorite place to live and that comes into play at their age. Sherrer should be gone. I'm not sure what hes done. Bituli and Henry T look good, but I don't know if much of that is on him, and he is too introverted to recruit successfully.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chaney is here until he retires or everyone gets fired.

Niedermeyer wants to keep moving the ladder, it's why Pruitt stuck him beside Chaney. He's going to be a head coach eventually.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Was that Friend?Thought Chaney was spending a lot of time with them. Makes me wonder.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think Rocker coaches much longer. If he retires, Hobby can take his place. Karl Dunbar is another dline coach that may pop up too.

Sherrer is most likely gone. Coleman Hutzler is someone to watch, from South Carolina. He can coach special teams too.

Rumph can be replaced. This is where Lupoi comes into play.

Weinke can be replaced by Tee if McClendon joins (Chaney can help there too).

There's also the chance of Pittman taking over for Friend

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chaney spends a lot of time with the oline

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

The Bama DL comments make no sense to me assuming it’s Butler. We don’t have another Edge guy in the class and Allen is an upper class men that hasn’t really played.

justingroves likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

He also seems to be an upstanding member of the community who is generous with his time. That always brings me back to him. Not a knock on anyone else, I just think he sets a standard that I want to strive for in regard to charity and community. And he doesn't pretend to know something more than he does. That is a knock on everyone else but Ubben.

Tenacious D likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

You serious?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, look at mister bigshot, humble bragging about possessing, transporting, and taking illegal psychedelics with no legal repercussions well after the statute of limitations!

(This jest was brought to you by Garza Law Firm)

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you can tell when he's yanking your chain, that's on you.

Tenacious D likes this.