POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That is a massive number vs expectation. Smashed estimates.

It’s also interesting because oil and gas has been a tailwind for years and is now a headwind. But not big enough yet to make a dent outside Texas and Oklahoma.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Thanks Obama (in before Uni and IP)

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

you don't want to hear this, but this growth is all in the cities. the problem has long been the death spiral of small town america. and that continues.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the supposed death spiral surely isn't showing up in the numbers. manufacturing just isn't that important anymore.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just like the massive red areas on an election map doesn't show up in the popular vote. We aren't talking about a majority of people, but we are talking about a majority of places.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it doesn't have to be a majority of people to show up in job and unemployment numbers. even 20% of the population being in a "death spiral" would have unemployment and growth numbers FAR worse than what we are seeing.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Despite the November ISM Manufacturing number looking bad, IHS Markit had a nice bump in manufacturing PMI. After listening to both arguments, I think I buy the bump IHS saw in November. Question for me is whether this will be yet another green shoot followed by contraction or an actual bottom.

But you are right on impact / small part of the economy. Manufacturing is only about 10% of the labor market. 15% if you throw in construction and mining (oil and gas). Fact is that the employment numbers in manufacturing are holding in there for now. Teetering on contraction. I think at 10% you would see some impact if it were fully contracting.

droski likes this.
  8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You are a glass half empty guy aren't you?

justingroves and droski like this.
  9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The Electoral College works exactly - perfectly - as it was intended and it will remain to do so.

I know that this pie in the sky fantasy of repealing it exists, and I’m telling you this now - our bones will have long been reduced to dust, and our great, great grandkids will still be [itch bay]ing about the Electoral College, too.

If there’s any [itch bay]ing left to be had, or anything left to be said. Hopefully disagreements would still matter at that point, because this is the road to ruination.

Listen to what I’m telling you here, IP:
    It will never change. Never, never, ever.

We practice democracy, but we are a Republic, first, foremost, only and always.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s not just an American issue. But happening in all developed countries.

A lot of that is our doing with policies and regulations that hurt small players in the economy

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It will be gone as soon as the Republicans, meaning both sides having experienced it, get burned by the EC. This may not happen for many years, but it isn't something ordained from the heavens and has long out served its purpose.

The hilarious part is your devotion to it. I don't quite get it, other than putting your hero into office. It's even the reason you put me on ignore. After many years of combative political talk, you get triggered by a pretty innocuous discussion on the Electoral College. I don't quite get your slavish devotion to it, but its a poor system to have established for electing a president. It's justified by specious reasoning, most of which had nothing to do with the original intention of the framers.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's all full, but half of it is filled with air.

13. Tenacious D

266,000 new jobs added in November.

3.5% unemployment in the US - a 50 year low.

Magic wand, I guess.

14. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

How much of the Constitution does the left want to change or eliminate?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the left just wants buttholes like yourself to actually understand it.

Unimane likes this.
  16. Unimane

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

18. Tenacious D

Fake news.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't believe this, do you?

tvolsfan likes this.
  20. Unimane

You know he does.

Also, is there a bigger tool than Matt Gaetz in Congress? At some point, you've got to just remove him from the proceedings.