POLITICS Theresa May out as PM.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, May 24, 2019.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The UK was not forced to enter the EU. The 13 states were not forced to enter the Union.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Well, are you saying all independence movements are a bad idea?

Wales was forced into England, Scotland was basically strong armed into Great Britain (due to debt and union of the crowns), and Ireland was forced into the UK.

To be clear, I don’t consider Brexit an independence movement at all.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Just like a marriage it can sour though. Especially when so many doens't have a direct say in those over them.

I can see how Brits don't want to be forced to pay for Greece, and them not wanting to pay their taxes.

4. NorrisAlan

First, let me say that I am not against all breaking ups. That would be a dumb and untenable stance.

Secondly, I understand that a marriage can sour. But I still get sad and don't understand when marriages breakup. Why cannot people just work things out, put egos down and work together. That is my default position.

The EU is much like the old Articles of Confederation and either you go full in (as with the Constitution) or you don't get together at all.

tvolsfan likes this.
  5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Agreed, but the EU isn’t a nation. It’s a trade union, and it always had exit options (I believe).

Again, this is not me advocating for Brexit.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's a trade union that's always had the goal of being more. GB has always been bit of a different breed from the other European nations, and I understand why many in GB want out but I've deliberately not kept up with this enough to know if it's smart or not.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That said, I know 0 about how the Ireland/Northern Ireland/Scotland thing works though.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd say elections have the shelf life people say they have. In Scotland's case, you seem to think their votes don't last 24 hours, if their is a previous vote years ago you preferred.

Also, you seem to think I believe the majority is always right, or I think my opinion is always the majority, or something like that.

Anyone reading this forum knows I am under no such delusion or hold any expectation of having the popular opinion. Heck, I have been called a troll many times.

I read something yesterday about a life long activist who would hold solitary candle light vigils outside the White House, protesting war. Someone asked him, Do you think you doing this will ever change anything? He replied that he does it so things don't change him.

That's how I feel.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You know, yesterday’s vote is damned near 20 hours old. Given how much everything has changed, we might want to que up another one.

Maybe get a couple in over the weekend.

Until it goes the way we want it, and then we cancel all future elections, calling them racist.

Then we move to Houston, and be full-time asshats.

10. Tenacious D

Gettysburg would like a word with you outside, sir.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It’s actually pretty interesting. I do think we could see some changes in the near future, though there is certainly no guarantee of that.

12. Tenacious D

Because we do not live in a world of infinite resources and riches, NA, any more than we live in one of universally and unwaveringly pure and honest intentions.

That world has never and will never existed, and choosing to believe that it ever will - or that such is even possible - is folly.

It can be made more just, fair and where everyone is more free to pursue its closest approximation as well, quickly and far as possible, even understanding that it can never be perfectly achieved.

13. Tenacious D

Entirely fair.

14. NorrisAlan

Was this a misquote, because I am not sure how it applies. I have spent some time trying to work it out, but I cannot.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I still find it interesting the major part of this election result was the distaste for many towards to Labour Party and Corbyn, in particular, and how this antipathy was different than the support levels for Brexit. We see the Brexit issue, but there were a lot more elements to this election than leaving the EU, as I looked closer. Support for Conservatives was running at a consistent +8-12 for them while opposition to Brexit was running at about +5. So, the Brexit deal is going to be affected and pushed through by the party which supports it, despite actually not being as popular as they are.

I don't particularly care one way or the other, as far as Brexit goes, but, like I said, the dynamics will be captivating in the upcoming months and years.

tvolsfan likes this.
  16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Poor Ted Lasso is gonna have a terrible time figuring all this out

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The labor party lost the people they're supposed to care the most about. The working class.

I read that it's been 84 years since the labor party has done so poorly in an election.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

19. cpninja

cpninja Member

The UK has a centrist party and they wound up with a net of -1 seats, so not sure I'd be hitching my horse to the "centrism is what people really want!" buggy

droski likes this.
  20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

The US and UK dynamic is quite different so it's problematic to make grand comparisons. That said, I still believe the vast majority of people in this country are closer to the center than the fringes. The fringes simply make the most noise. I don't think it's as much centrism folks want as it is someone not from the poles and not batshit crazy. And make no mistake, there is little difference in the far right and far left. Both are dangerous and unwanted by the majority of the country. We simply need a viable alternative.