POLITICS Virginia a testing ground for 2020.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TheOrangeEmpire, Dec 20, 2019.

1. TheOrangeEmpire

TheOrangeEmpire Active Member

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...in-gun-sanctuary-movement-expands-to-9-states

I initially hesitated to make a post because it’s specific to Virginia but now it seems to be spreading to bordering states.

The Democrats won control of the state government and now Governor Northram backed by Michael Bloomberg have called for an assault weapon ban and limitations on magazine size. (Also proposing red flag and expanded background checks.)

There has also been a response by localities calling themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries. A lot of misinformation and overreaction is coming out of both camps.

In the end, are assault weapon and high capacity magazine bans sensible gun control legislation?

Thoughts?

2. TheOrangeEmpire

Also, I personally find this proposal and debate more fascinating than the weapons ban.

https://legiscan.com/VA/bill/SB104/2020

Vaccinations and immunizations; minors; authority to consent. Provides that a minor shall be deemed an adult for the purpose of consenting to medical or health services related to receiving vaccinations and immunizations recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention if the individual is at least 14 years of age and demonstrates to the satisfaction of a health care practitioner the ability to understand at the same comprehension level as an adult the risks and benefits associated with vaccinations and immunizations.

Thoughts?

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think it is sensible, but not practical. There are just too many out there and too many owners of these weapons.

4. NorrisAlan

I think this is a fantastic idea. We have had kids this young sue for emancipation from their parents, to be tried as adults in murder cases, etc. I think it is fine to allow them to decide if they want a vaccination or not.

TheOrangeEmpire and IP like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

some counties have declared themselves 2nd amendment sanctuaries and will refuse to enforce any gun control laws.

6. TheOrangeEmpire

Who knows what will actually be proposed but all existing assault weapons will be grandfathered in under a registration.

7. TheOrangeEmpire

Sheriffs have also thrown out they’ll deputize thousands to fall under the law enforcement exemption.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Nobody say anything stupid. I need to work today.

Ssmiff and justingroves like this.
  9. NorrisAlan

Only thing protected under the 2nd Amendment are smooth bored muskets and knives and you have to be in a state militia to own even those.

justingroves and TheOrangeEmpire like this.
  10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We used rifled muskets during the French and Indian war, so at least give us that one.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I just think it's crazy that "assault rifles" get so much attention.

Something used at most in a couple hundred, but more likely a 100ish murders a year being banned for public safety.

NYY likes this.
  12. TheOrangeEmpire

Do you?

13. TheOrangeEmpire

@fl0at_

14. TheOrangeEmpire

Assault weapons are easily identifiable and may elicit fear. ‍♂️

15. cpninja

cpninja Member

I prefer to interpret "well regulated" to mean a diet that is high in fiber

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pistols are used to kill a lot more people than "assault rifles".

I've got a lot of guns, don't own any AR types because I don't have any need for them, but the ranting against them are funny to me.

I don't know, I grew up shooting guns and was taught how to safely handle and respect them. They're all dangerous if a dumbass wields it

17. NorrisAlan

It is just the psychology of mass death. A plane falls from the sky, 200 people die, and people decide not to fly anymore, even though you are far more likely to die driving your car across the country.

Pistols kill a LOT more people and have even fewer uses outside of killing people than assault rifles do. But two drug dealers killing each other with their 9mm's doesn't catch our attention, and they "deserved" it.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But why does one side need to sell that fear and use force of government to limit freedom.

That's one of the biggest issues with the divide between rural and urban and why our system of government has so many layers.

There's not a one size that fits all that's best for such a diverse and huge populations as America, but that's what you get at the Federal level.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my wife's cousin posted on facebook that in lieu of gifts for his birthday he wants people to contribute to a charity he really cares about. breast cancer? nah. food for the homeless. nope. it's a non profit that fights for gun owner rights.

he posted this last week and one person has donated.

warhammer likes this.
  20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems like a waste of legislation. how many 14 year old unvaccinated kids are desperate to get vaccinated? is this really something we need to worry about?