This Season Sucked

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Jan 2, 2020.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Prevent defense should be against the rules in every level of football.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Going into next season, Tennessee will have the second longest win streak of Power 5 teams, behind only the eventual national champion. That actually is significant. This is only the 5th time in the last 30 years Tennessee has finished with a 6 game win streak. Also significant. We have accomplished something, this season.

hohenfelsvol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Everybody keeps talking about the win streak. I just think it’s a positive point for fans. The team will be so different in September I don’t think the win streak will matter. It’s nice to end the season on a positive note that’s for sure.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

We did it in 2015, too.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're young as hell, man. I think it does matter. It has established a winning habit for what will be the majority of the roster next season.

PilotFlyingJ and **TDCVOL** like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

2015 may have well been 2015 B.C.E. 2017 broke us.

7. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Hopefully you’re right.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’d have been easy to roll over and say [uck fay] it in the 2nd half.

This team is flawed in a lot of ways but damn they love to fight.

JG has my respect. He’s far from being great but he’s been a kickass teammate since the Alabama screw up.

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Winning is great, don't get me wrong. But that are still glaring warts and QB play isn't the only one. Time management still continues to be an issue, discipline still is an issue. Any program that's not a perennial doormat most likely makes us pay in that last 1:20. We really lucked out there in that Indiana played like their SEC BBall school brethren there.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, so true. That they didn't quit is really remarkable. As much as we [itch bay], Indiana has to feel like dogshit because they let this game go.

ptclaus98 likes this.
  11. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

They lucked out we had a QB that couldn't hit open receivers in the end zone and telegraphed a throw that ended in a pick 6. A half assed QB wins that game by three scores

utvol0427, MaconVol and Memtownvol like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

We'll get there, or we won't. As it stands, we have gone from 4 wins to 5 wins to 8 wins.

ptclaus98 and justingroves like this.
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

100% growth in wins in 2 years is a good spin.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Read my custom title, my brother!

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I also wanted to double down and onside kick again after we took the lead, so there's that. The defense proved me wrong... sort of.

InVolNerable likes this.
  17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I legit LLOL’d and immediately fell in love with this thread the second I saw the title and that you’d started it.

18. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I think there is something to that. When we were losing the majority of the time, everyone harped on how losing is "a habit". Somehow, someway, Pruitt and Co. managed to turn that around without relying on gimmicks and dumb luck. For those returning, winning has become a habit. It was not the doings of one player even though we like to think Jennings as being the face of it. The last half of the season has truly been the product of an entire roster deciding that they were going to bite, scratch, and claw their way to becoming winners.

Will that carry over to 2020? It depends on what Pruitt does to cultivate that attitude and expectation within the locker room. This thing could very easily go off the rails next year if Pruitt is not the man we all hope him to be.

But if it does carry over, and those of us who are optimistic are indeed correct.....

[​IMG]

aaaaand I'm drunk

JohnnyQuickkick likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

A lot of the questionable game management stuff is irrelevant last night if the damn quarterback could throw it to a guy

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This was basically the BYU game (which I insist was a generally well-played game for the first 59 minutes by everyone except the quarterback) but with us turning up at the end instead of doing dumb crap at the end. We still have a quarterback problem, but I’ll take this over the alternative

PilotFlyingJ likes this.