Zaya vs. Zion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, you're Dwayne Wade. Your 12 year old son comes to you and says he identifies as a girl, wanting to be called a new name. How do you handle this situation as a father?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Suggest negotiating her naming rights to a shoe or soft drink company. Big missed opportunity.

InVolNerable likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would listen, then go from there.

IP, cpninja and InVolNerable like this.
  4. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Tell him to keep his Capri pants on and get back on the court.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd be pretty scared and try to get them help for sure

Be hard knowing your child had a mental condition that has a 40% suicide rate.

justingroves likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I would have the first of many long talks that included him, my wife, and counselors.

cpninja and justingroves like this.
  7. cpninja

cpninja Member

Just listen. Listen to your kid. Listen to the doctors and the therapists who have spent their entire professional lives helping trans people and know better than you. Listen to actual trans people, whose experiences have run the gamut from the worlds most supportive parents to parents who have done evil things to their kids to "fix" them. Dont make your kid become a statistic because you're old school, or what will the neighbors think, or whatever. Just [uck fay]ing listen, man.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it’s crazy there’s a movement to force parents to “treat” their children by giving them hormone blockers and stuff at such a young age.

A-Smith likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I'd expect a womens basketball scholarship offer pretty soon which would be incredible if womens basketball didnt suck.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

evidence suggests the suicide rate has to do with how society reacts to them. like referring to the situation as a mental condition, perhaps.

chavisut and JudgmentVol like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

tuition sucks far more, my dude. take that money.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’s body dysmorphia.

It’s a complex issue but it’s very much a mental condition. Doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to be treated like a human being.

I think the societal aspect plays a role in the high suicide rate but doesn’t nearly explain it.

Because those that have support and even transition still have basically a 40% suicide rate. That’s higher than black slaves in America and Jews in german concentration camps

warhammer and InVolNerable like this.
  13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s crazy.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

it was a joke about tuition, not a commentary on the eligibility of a trans woman to play women's basketball. Relax.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m not worked up but there’s a lot of people that believe that.

Which is why so many women’s sport records is being shattered by transgender men that identify as being a woman.

16. cpninja

cpninja Member

Pretty much every reputable study shows that transition and support significantly reduces the suicide rate(and things like increasing access to transition related medical care along with support further reduces it). Society itself is still deeply transphobic but if you have a solid social circle and aren't being discriminated against in day-to-day life(employment, housing, etc) it turns out you want to kill yourself a hell of a lot less often

InVolNerable likes this.
  17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0016885

Most medical data doesn’t support that.

Here’s a country that is very accepting and progressive and it find that long term it isn’t a fix.

I’m not against trans people either. I want them to live happy meaningful lives. It’s just a very complex issue

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

"most medical data." what amount or proportion of studies running counter to the claim you just made would change your mind?

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

cpninja and InVolNerable like this.
  20. cpninja

cpninja Member

That study says people who accessed gender reassignment care after 1989 had no statistically significant increase in suicide rate vs the control(and both groups were much lower than the group they assessed from 1973-88), and one of their explanations is improving care and changes in societal attitude in Sweden in that time period.

I think we're both on the same wavelength here though, the suicide rate is still too high but it's also been shown(including the pdf in your other post) to be drastically lower in trans people who have supportive environments than those who are facing active discrimination in their daily life
    https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-015-1867-2
    http://transpulseproject.ca/wp-cont...g-Parental-Support-for-Trans-Youth-vFINAL.pdf