The New Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don’t need to see another one. Fury is clearly the better fighter. It’s not close.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Fury benefitted majorly from a freak injury to Wilder tonight. I have to wonder how it goes tonight if the busted eardrum doesn't happen as I think Fury was getting tired and carrying a lot of weight, which would've hurt him in later rounds. If I were Wilder, I'd want another crack at the guy.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

A freak injury? I don’t think so. Fury was using dude’s head as a speed bag all night long. He’s lucky that’s all he came out with. This was a straight ass shipping, from start to finish. If Wilder is lucky enough to get another chance, he really needs to think about changing his game plan.

4. Unimane

Yes, but getting a busted ear drum in the 2nd round IS a freak injury I've not seen it on a big fight ever. Once it was busted, Wilder had zero shot, since it gives you vertigo. But, yes, Wilder has needed to diversify his repertoire for a long time now and stop relying on one big right hand to win the fight.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I guess I don’t look at it as a freak injury because it was done with a punch. By that I mean, I don’t think that Fury was trying to inflict that specific injury on to him, but the punch to the side of his head was definitely measured.

To me, freak would have been landing on your head, on one of those slips, for example.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

How many times has a boxer suffered a busted ear drum, though? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont know of any other big fights where it's happened, but it's not an uncommon occurrence with boxers

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I meant big fights.

9. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Kevin Iole reported that there was no busted eardrum. It was just a cut in his ear that took 7 stitches to repair.

10. Ssmiff

so the "vertigo" could just have been getting walloped and woozy.

11. Unimane

If he didn't have an ear issue, then he just got his ass whipped, point blank. But, I've not seen a fighter so unstable with his balance for the entirety of his fight. I don't think Fury did anything remarkably damaging beyond anything I've ever seen from a Wilder fight. It was a really odd fight and one I was hoping would be a good one, based upon their earlier match up.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

13. Ssmiff

That's just awesome

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Gold. And I like Wilder.

16. CardinalVol

Old Tyson fights on ESPN tonight.

17. Ssmiff

I was in college at the time of some of his big fights and the fight parties were awesome. Pay $2 or $3 at the door for the fight and a natty light keg on the balcony

18. CardinalVol

19. Unimane

I can't imagine that going well for Roy Jones, at all. Once his reflexes were shot, he was Gerry Cooney in the ring, waiting to get KOed.

20. Ssmiff

wonder what type of power reading a current left hook to the body by Tyson would be.