Going to the SEC Spring Meetings to play guitar/sing

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by FlowingAway., May 24, 2012.

1. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

I've actually been doing this for 3 years now, but I've never brought it up on a UT board for fear of sounding like I'm bragging or something. But screw it, it's pretty freakin cool so I'm telling you guys.

Long story short, I work at a prestigious hotel in Blount County. Commissioner Slive has stayed up here numerous times and myself and a friend of mine, being the sports nuts we are, always made sure we showed him to his room so we could talk to him and whatnot. We proceeded to give him a demo of us performing covers of old Beatles, Bee Gees, and some other stuff and told him if he ever needed us to play any functions, let us know. Of course we never expected a call about it.

We actually did get a call from the SEC offices in Alabama wanting to know if we were available in June to play during an evening cocktail party after the first day of meetings. Of course we flipped out and said of course we will. They paid for us 2 nights and paid us for playing as well. Not amazingly, but worth our while (even though just getting to do it is worth our while IMO)

Anyways, this year will be the 4th year straight we've gotten to do this. It is such a trip to be standing there singing and playing our material and look out and see all of the coaches out there congregating, drinking, eating, laughing, doing whatever. I always wish I could get some pictures, but we're always too busy playing.

Also, before the 2010 season, Mrs. Dooley noticed us and got our information in case they needed us for anything. We ended up getting to play at the Dooley's house at a reception they had for a fundraiser back in 2011 (April or May I believe).

I just wanted to share that with you guys, I tried to not toot my own horn, but I figured you guys would appreciate how cool that is. 2 good ol Blount County boys picking and grinning down in Destin for the coaches, AD's, Slive, all the journalists, and families.

BTW last year I swear Coach Cal looked like a member of the mob down there. All of the coaches are walking around socializing, doing whatever, then you have Cal sitting off to the side, dressed in all black, with his posse all around him like they were planning a hit on someone. Pretty funny.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You work at the Family Inn on Alcoa Hwy? That's awesome!

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

That is cool. You guys have anything on Youtube?

4. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

Shhh I'm not supposed to talk about the guests that stay here.

5. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

We actually don't have any YouTube videos. Just a lowly facebook page with a track on there to listen to. www.facebook.com/2guys2guitars

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Cool Toot!!!

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bad ass, man. Sounds like a cool stroke of fortune.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's awesome.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Toot your horn more often. That's pretty cool.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Awesome. My only question is, does Dooley's mom turn down the bed and plug the night light in for Precious?

I'll hang up and listen.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Good deal. You need to perform at an 8th tailgate.

12. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

That's exactly how I look at it. Right place, right time. I'm sure there are 50 groups in Knoxville who could do what we do in their sleep and do it better. But for whatever reason, we've been blessed to do it. Makes for a pretty sweet little mini vacation every year.

The first time we did it was 2009, so Kiffin was there. My wife got her picture taken with him, and he looks freakin TRASHED. I'll see if I can find it, it's a fantastic picture.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bump. Wanna see this picture.

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Gbo vfl

15. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

Still searching for the Kiffin picture. It's either on my computer that's not hooked up at the moment or on the camera of my other band member, who is impossible to get anything from regarding technology. In the meantime, here's a picture of us playing in the midst of all the coaches from this past week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  16. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fark material, right there.

18. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

When I look at that picture I just keep thinking about how much I miss him.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Do you have it on your nightstand?

20. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

I would replace it with a Dooley picture, but it would only inspire me to go back to bed.