The Country Music Thread, 8th Style...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanbill, Sep 1, 2011.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I assumed it was Tenny and, if it is, he was wrong per usual.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think the people who didn’t like it are folks who are fans of his older stuff

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah. Sound wasn't the best, but I attribute that to the venue. That said, it still didn't sound too bad to me.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is why I passed on seeing Sturgill and Childers in Bridgestone. Give me the Ryman or Exit/Inn or Tivoli or the Bijou

chavisut likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'd listen.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I love his older stuff and am honestly not a fan of the Sound and Fury album, but it was great live. Tried to listen to the album again this morning and still not a big fan.

My wife was all kinds of pissed that he changed up his older stuff. I think she'd have stabbed his ass for changing Oh Sarah if she had the opportunity.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

maybe it was worse stuck in the corner where we were. His vocals were unintelligible and some of the high pitched stuff was grating. I think dialing the volume down just a bit would have helped

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Still want to see him in a good venue and hopefully more of his older stuff. My wife informed me she is never going back to one of his concerts.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's him, though. He changes his band up damn near every tour. He's a guy that's never going to go backwards. I can respect that, but I don't really like Sound & Fury.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm glad I saw him twice before he started arena shows

11. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

We went to the Sunday Asheville show and didn't stay after Childers was done. I thought Childers put on a good show and the crowd seemed to be into it. I just don't like Strugill's new stuff.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

Metamodern Sounds is my favorite but I probably like Sound & Fury as much as Sailor’s Guide.
    I’ll say this, loved his guitar tone.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would pay good money to watch the intro into House Fire by itself

14. CardinalVol

Put me squarely into the love the old stuff, hate the new stuff category.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And, after sleeping on it, I was pretty underwhelmed by Childers. I enjoyed the cover of Tulsa Turnaround, but thought he was meh other than that. I'd probably have enjoyed him more if he'd played more of his older stuff, but understand him playing stuff from the new album.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Anybody ever been to the Cavern at Monteagle? Looks like we are going to see Mofro there in June. Looks pretty damn cool.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I didn't know about that place until hearing about it before the end of the year. Definitely want to catch a show there. The Steel Woods are going to be there in August and I'm considering making the trip for it.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

I enjoyed his set. They weren’t blasting him as loud so it sounded better. Hit all my favorites too

19. CardinalVol

Yup, today is a pat green day.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Go to a show he headlines, he'll play everything under the sun.

chavisut and utvol0427 like this.