Working out contingencies for an abbreviated season

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Mar 22, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know that probably no one in the NCAA or SEC is thinking about this, and just are going to "wait and see," but now would be a time to figure out what options there are for an abbreviated season in case it becomes possible to have one only after August/September but before, say December.

The way I see it, I don't give a shit what the rest of the conferences really do. I do care about having enough games to crown an SEC champion, and if anyone else in the country feels froggy then we can see about a championship or playoff.

The way I see it, we only really need 7 games. A round robin for each division and the guaranteed cross conference opponent. The two division winners can play in a title match-up. If so, the season could start as late as perhaps early November without actually extending the window in which the game is usually played, or even starting in December and being done before February.

Are there better options? I see no harm in thinking about how to save the 2019 season and thinking outside the box.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

At this point, I'll be kind of surprised if we get football this year.

That said, I'd be happy with your idea if it has to be an abbreviated season, maybe even dropping the cross-division opponent. Give the teams a few weeks in late September/early October for practice. Start games October 17th, play six straight weekends, Thanksgiving weekend off, and then a championship game.

To hell with the other conferences, SEC champ gets to claim the National Championship.

NorrisAlan and Tenacious D like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is important to think about the possibilities. This will end at some point.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If we truly believe in player safety, then we won’t play a game before the players have a minimum of 90 days to prepare for the season.

Minimum.

Volokie and utvol0427 like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

agreed

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

In reality, if there is any way to squeeze money out of the situation, the conferences/'AA will do it, player health be damned.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

The delay of the olympics could be the first domino towards a shortened or canceled football season. They were scheduled for late July through early August. Right when fall camps would be ramping up.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m having our helmets shipped off Wednesday for reconditioning. I still don’t think we’ll be having spring

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am pretty confident this will not be over by July.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Look, I'll go stand on a roof and start sniping people if I need to. But give me football.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Won’t be over but hopefully manageable by then

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd say we'd be over the hump, but not too cocky about it

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

At this rate, next July may be the goal.

14. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

Any chance you could take aim at Pelosi first?

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Doctor I talked to yesterday predicted a vaccine in 6 months.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One can only hope

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

If there is a season, do you think they will play with fans in the stands? Is any school going to be comfortable cramming tens of thousands of people into a stadium in just over 5 months?

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I wonder how many people will opt to not get the vaccine for themselves/their kids when it's available because "it's just a cold/it's no worse than the flu/the vaccines will make us autistic".

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No joke, if there’s going to be a vaccine with awful side effects it will be one that’s rushed.

20. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

We're certainly used to waiting another year.

InVolNerable likes this.