COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Many more cases isn’t some great stat. You want a virus that doesn’t kill a high percentage and doesn’t spread from person to person easily. One being low at the expense of the other isn’t some great improvement. 1% of 1 million or 0.1% of ten million is the same outcome.

IP likes this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You say this like it's a bad thing.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Totally agree. That’s the same point I was making in the two strains thought experiment.

The one way it is better is you will start establishing herd immunity sooner and in the end see fewer deaths. But that is a later effect.

IP likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

lol, we've gone down this road like 3 times at least.

5. CardinalVol

Yeah, but flu kills more.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well evidently a pretty huge portion of the country took an alternate route.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The end of the world: when there is no more room in hell, 9th grade math word problems shall walk the Earth.

8. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

FWIW, Since my days of being 10ft tall and bulletproof are long gone, I started plotting the TN data
    This is data from the noted sources, do I believe them to be 100% correct, not really, data is what data is, for example .....
    TN case count is based solely on testing from the state lab and 3rd party.
    It might be conceivable that one got it, had no insurance, stayed home and recovered = no data.
    Deaths are most likely the most accurate - everybody seems to want to report a death.
    IMO, Recovered is rather fluffy if not down right inaccurate.
    Worldometer did have a column for this but has since been removed and have revised their format to show Recovered and Death for the country.
    I cannot find a data site that provides recovery so currently TN Recovered = (Total Cases - Deaths) - Active Cases.
    It may be true, but it's difficult for me to realize that only 392 have recovered from 62,852 US cases.
    So if you're interested, my daddy always told me ideas were like assholes, so here's mine.
    upload_2020-3-25_14-38-49.png

IP and 2Maggitt2Quit like this.
  9. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I think it might matter more in terms of getting back to normal. I'm probably simplifying it too much, but a greater amount of untracked, asymptomatic cases increases the effectiveness of herd immunity after this first, severe wave of cases.

Edit: Just saw TT beat me there.

10. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

If you're interested, Here's today's TN data by county - glad I don't live in Middle Tennessee
    upload_2020-3-25_14-54-57.png

IP likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

Cumberland Plateau - Keeps severe weather AND pandemic viruses moving from Middle TN to East TN!

TBSVOL and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Sorry IP, that you have lol'd and been thru it 3 times, but IMFO, if/when there are more and more patients and the death rate drops from say 10% in italy to .5 here, im going to view it as a positive in this process. I would cosider it to be bad news, should the death rate should stay level or increase, no matter if 1 million or 10 million have CV. Its not my problem if you have a problem with simple reasoning.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but it looks like US outbreak areas would strongly correlate to county GDP

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I actually didn't say anything to you, but am glad you view me as a safe space to vent.

SetVol13 likes this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’s because we don’t call every soft drink in the world coke.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We aren’t even sure how that could work. There have been reports of a few people having been infected twice already.

17. CardinalVol

Thems fighting words buddy.

justingroves likes this.
  18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The only two important pieces of information in regards to policy decisions at this point are that it makes enough people sick to completely screw huge regions and that restricting person to person contact is the only effective way to counter the virus that we’ve identified so far.

SetVol13 likes this.
  19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m still hopeful that’s rare based on occurrences.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

More likely the NYY Effect.