College Football 2020

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Apr 26, 2020.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If UT goes online classes only this Fall, is there any way at all to justify a football season? I’m thinking no.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m skeptical at this point

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just feels like one college sometime this summer will make the call to go ahead and do online only. And then the dominos will start falling and eventually there will be too much pressure on the schools wanting to do things normally.

Can’t see forcing all these unpaid students to get together and practice every day if you’ve already deemed classroom sessions too dangerous.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'll be shocked if we see football this year.

5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

So if the season is cancelled, I would think the NCAA would have to increase the number of players on a roster for 2021 because you'll have a class of recruits coming in and seniors that have a yr left of eligibility.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If classes are online in the fall, no way there is sports

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yes - you would have to change rules around scholarship limits I would think.

The only way they play is if we have RELIABLE antibody testing (so you can rule out continued testing for those players) and RELIABLE rapid response CV testing that could be used at EVERY school basically to ensure that players are healthy, not spreading it to each other, or to other teams. This probably has to happen every two days or so. And players are pulled if they get sick.

If you can't do something like that, then you probably can't play. It isn't necessarily that the risk posed to them is so high you have to do that, but you can't ask them to practice/play and not provide a framework for why that isn't breaking the college's own rules.

This would never work for the general population of the universities - but you MIGHT be able to make it work for the fall sports.

Would they be willing to go to those measures? I don't know.

8. NorrisAlan

If they have testing for just the players, you would have to still have empty stadiums

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It seems like the danger posed would be exactly the sort of thing to decisively tip the scales in the athletes’ favor for the ongoing to pay or not to pay debates.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Have to have football or other sports will fold.
    Have to play.

11. NorrisAlan

Not if it puts people at risk. Liability would be through the roof if it is deemed too dangerous.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, we still paying all these clowns millions of dollars to sit at home and get fatter?

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Hadn't thought about that. Chaney may not survive being locked in his house with a fully pantry.

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Oh, definitely.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m pretty confident they’ll be a season.

It will be modified but they plan on playing

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

people should be able to make that choice, imo, when you look at all the info we have right now. People die in wrecks on the way to and after games, but we dont prohibit them from going or cancel them due to the risk, which is probably greater than dying from CV

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The students will be on campus and sports will be played

Memtownvol and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Colleges have said exactly this, and recently.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably.

20. NorrisAlan

Tell that to the class action lawyer if 10,000 people get covid at the game.