COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They aren't the only one with a vaccine. Maybe they thought even with one, they wouldn't be first. Or that something else out there might end up being better.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well either way they are going to have some SEC problems

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The Alabama story is extremely misleading. It's not a good thing, by any stretch, but its not as dire as it sounds.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

it isn't dire now, but there has been an escalating trend

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Patrick Ewing has it.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah 3 counties have continued to get hit pretty hard, but they're not out of ICU beds which is what the new articles implies. They can add more if necessary, though it would be great if they didn't have to.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Does Dwight Howard have it? If not, that cements Indy's case.

9. CardinalVol

And gonna hurt MJ argument too, I mean definitely lowers Ewing's stature for beating him.

10. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Yeah, Montgomery , Mobile, and Jefferson seem like.

11. CardinalVol

30 new FAQs expected for PPP loan forgiveness expected next week.

*Cries*

Tenacious D likes this.
  12. fl0at_

Two interesting things about 1918, was:

1. First wave affected the old. The second wave hit the young adults.

2. Mild strain was passed around less than the more lethal strain due to WW1.

One consequence of at home orders may be that mild infections are at home, where no-one can encounter them, and lethal ones are walking in to hospitals and coming back to the community.

If that were the case here, at home orders are actually detrimental. Not sure how it is proven, though.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Luckily, everyone and everything is essential so the stay at home orders are moot.

14. fl0at_

I'm so essential, I was sent home to work.

Meanwhile, all the non-essential workers had to go to the office and deal with non-essential things like accepting shipments and talking to people.

So I don't know what essential actually means anyway.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

me neither.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Essentially, it is about the essentials of being non-essential in an essential way while not being essential to the non-essential essentials.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

This comes up with government shutdowns too. A lot of "nonessential" things rapidly become "essential." Some "essential" things aren't nearly as "essential" when none of the "nonessential" things are occurring.

Only an educated and cooperative population acting as responsible adults can work. We don't have that. We know we don't. Orders or no orders, many are not willing to change or sacrifice anything if it isn't them personally in imminent danger, and nothing will make them believe it is really them in danger until they are hip deep in it.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

For us, it means the minimum number of people required to keep it afloat for a couple of days

19. fl0at_

I'm considered essential because I'm head of software, and thus "hard to replace." I disagree, but oh well. It's their money.

But the people that do the things that actually make the money (I'm an expense) aren't considered essential because they are replaced by temp workers if needed.

But 90% of everything I have done has been automation (by me or my team) making me the least essential person out of the 250 of us. I am utterly not needed. The code will just work.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was deemed essential because I was always collaborating on side projects outside of my area, and they figured I could just cover a lot of different things. As if one person can do 10 jobs, working at 10x speed? Doing 9 of them mediocrely? My specific job function is no more or less critical than those other folks'.