POLITICS Democratic Nominee 2020 Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Who will win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020?

1. Biden, J

42.1%
  2. Booker, C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buttigieg, P

15.8%
  4. Castro, J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clinton, H

15.8%
  6. Harris, K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Klobuchar, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sanders, B

10.5%
  9. Warren, E

15.8%
  10. Yang, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wait a minute didn't you just criticize trump for saying he was joking when he made comments that backlashed. Biden said he "shouldn't have been such a wise guy." It's exactly the same argument and meaningless apology.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Except that, you know, whole expression of an actual apology thing.

Trump says he was joking to whatever he says, brushes off criticism and for people to just get over it, no contrition whatsoever. Biden here says it was a bad attempt at a joke, but he's sorry, expressing contrition. Now, whether it's sincere or not, I have no idea, nor do you our anyone else. However, it was the correct and appropriate thing to do and absolutely different than how Trump handles situations (Plus how I mentioned, specifically how Biden should respond earlier).

Your response here was the most predictable thing I could have seen in any post on this board ever. You "got him" on his first comments and there's zero chance you'd ever concede him a modicum of credit for giving an apology.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it wasn't a real apology. it was a "i'm sorry you got offended" apology. that's not a real apology.

5. Tenacious D

Lord have mercy on this poor man.

upload_2020-5-22_18-40-55.jpeg

6. Tenacious D

Both of you.

7. Tenacious D

Sleepy Joe’s stutter has worsened, it seems, and has turned into Tourette’s.

Just typical liberal Democrat racist Tourette’s.

8. Unimane

How did you determine this? Because it certainly wasn't from the words he said or the tone he used.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Stating what I think his words meant is not an attempt to deflect but instead to dig a hole for him. I’m comfortable with the way I’ve described what he said. He wasn’t just saying he wasn’t black. As in you can’t be black if you aren’t voting for me. The clear implication was you are not REALLY black (or black enough, etc). It goes beyond denying his race and instead implies one isn’t deserving to claim a race. It’s pretty nasty. And even if he said it in jest, you don’t say that. It’s not a funny joke. And he should be criticized for it and he should apologize for it. All of which have happened.

Tenacious D and Unimane like this.
  10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Too bad Churches are not open this weekend. He would just attend a black church service and be forgiven by the Pastor. All would be good come Monday.

Covid interfering with the Democratic playbook.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Read it. Are you serious?

12. Unimane

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe...-on-black-voters-on-the-breakfast-club-2020-5

"I should not have been so cavalier. I've never, never, ever taken the African American community for granted."

I "shouldn't have been such a wise guy," adding that "no one should have to vote for any party based on their race, their religion, their background,"

That's not how a "sorry you were offended" apology goes.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a presidential nominee say in my life time

zehr27 likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

its be 24/7 news if you know who woulda said people arent black enough if they vote for biden. Amazing the media doublestandard and as amazing are those who dont see it.

15. Unimane

It would be, but not for the reasons you think. If Trump said something similarly crazy, which he has, of course, he would massively, massively exacerbate the problem with his follow up actions. He would say the question was unfair and the radio host has a "failing show" and Trump was doing him a favor by being the only one who could bring good ratings to the show. He then would go on a tweeting rampage, calling the guy a loser with low IQ, which would last a few days, and come back to the guy on numerous occasions later on because he simply can't drop a grudge. Meanwhile, his supporters would say the criticism was the result of the country being too PC, search for any Democrat who said something similar and then dismiss every comment and condemnation of his statement as "TDS".

But, Biden did what I specifically have said Trump should do on these instances of shooting his mouth off and saying or tweeting something stupid, like the whole Gold Star Family controversy during the Democratic National Convention. Biden apologized. He defused the situation by simply saying sorry, I [uck fay]ed up, mitigating much of the fallout. It happens all the time when people say something stupid, terrible, idiotic, etc. Show or express contrition and you take away much of the outrage's fuel and sting, just like in any other similar human interaction.

Trump, on the other hand, went full whiny ass defensive on the Gold Star Family, making a nothing story a much, much bigger deal for days than it would and should have been. All this simply because he refuses to apologize for anything and has to respond and attack every slight and criticism of his actions and words. And, just to be clear, he's still saying repugnant, awful shit which any other president would be getting raked over the coals for saying it. Yet, it's become so regular and he and his supporters so effective in their [itch bay]ing and moaning about the media calling him out for such stupidities, the statements have had no effect.

Let me repeat this, since you love the double standards line, no on other president would say these things and it not be a huge, huge [uck fay]ing story. Just this week he's said Fox News isn't doing enough to get him (and Republicans) re-elected and then baselessly insinuated a prominent critic of his in the media of murder. Yet, these crazy ass statements barely register.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How magnanimous of him. Except that was not the process. The first thing he did was say it was a joke. Placing the blame on the listener for not getting it.

Then when that did not fly with a group he knows saved his ass in SC and who he desperately needs for the election he said he should not have been so cavalier.

He did exactly what Trump does; he did what he thinks helps him most politically.

That is not exactly a reason to nominate him for Sainthood; nor bash Trump.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  17. Unimane

Who said anything about sainthood? I said he did the smart thing to quell the controversy.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

He did the political thing.

19. Unimane

He's a politician running for political office, of course it was a political response. Perhaps he felt guilty, perhaps not, I don't know. It was still the wise thing to do. My original comment was directed toward Smiff's complaint of how this did not gain significant traction in the media and my response is still because Biden was smart in heading this off in a way Trump either can't or won't in similar controversies.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

In an interview with host Charlemagne tha God on The Breakfast Club with New York’s Power 105.1 FM, Biden said: “If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.” He went on to defend his record on issues relevant to the black community, claiming: “The NAACP has endorsed me every time I’ve run.”

Did they?

Yesterday [sic], former Vice President Joe Biden made a comment about the NAACP’s endorsement. We want to clarify that the NAACP is a non-partisan organization and does not endorse candidates for political office at any level.