Mama's Boys Talkin' Cookin'

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Oct 18, 2018.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If you can find a better cheesesteak in East Tennessee I’d like to know where that place is.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s not shit but it’s definitely overhyped.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Definitely going to try it. Will be cutting through Oak Ridge on Tuesday on the way back to Knoxville, but looks like they are closed.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Big Ed's is like that childhood memory. It had different owners 40 years ago, but is still in the same little hole in the wall and still looks the same so it brings back memories.

But I doubt the pizza is as good as it was 40 years ago. I haven't been there in 15 and it was meh the last time I was there.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Cheesesteaks are one of those things that seem really simple to do, but it seems impossible to find a decent option anywhere.

A-Smith and justingroves like this.
  6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Almost all of the people I know who swear by it have been going on a regular basis for years.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I went to Big Ed's once, hungover as hell. It was okay

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So I bought a brisket this weekend. 115 coconuts for this big [itch bay]. Momma got me a Green Egg last week, I've cooked on it 3 times, and naturally she wants me to smoke that brisket on it. I've smoked a lot of meat on my old grill, but I'm still figuring out this green egg. No pressure

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i wouldn’t worry about it. Egg keeps it pretty consistent and if you’ve already smoked one you’ll be fine.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

How do you add more charcoal a couple hours in?

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I got a pellet grill last week. It’s smaller than what most people have, but that makes it portable which means I can take it to the campground and make everybody jealous there too, not just in the neighborhood.

Did a rack of ribs last night. They were very good, impressed with the final results. It’ll hold another rack at least (*maybe* 3 racks) but definitely enough to feed 4-6 people. I can get a 7 pound but in it easily, so a 7-10 lb brisket will work as well.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Did some bison sliders tonight. My go to. Worc sauce with some tonys creole and a few with Freddys dry rub. Still like my creole slider with pepperjack the best.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you got to take off the deflector. You shouldn’t have to add coals though. Google minion method

kmf600 likes this.
  14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I've had one for a couple years. Prolly cooked 50 racks of ribs on it.

They cook ribs really well.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Brisket came out tasty, with good bark, a little dry. I'm still working on figuring out this green egg thing. Everyone keeps telling me I'll love this thing, but I really liked my old grill. I guess it'll just take time

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I’m sure those egg things are great but I’m doing just fine with my CharGriller

kmf600 likes this.
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

did you wrap?

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yeah, got to about 150, wrapped until about 180, then rest in small cooler for about an hour. I'm having a hard time keeping the grill temp at 250. I guess it's just going to take time to figure the egg out. I'll damn sure keep practicing though.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

never was as fun IMO

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got 3 kids, what do you think?

droski likes this.