Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

One problem is that I don’t trust anyone to give me the news straight anymore on either side.

utvol0427 and justingroves like this.
  2. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

When the news just becomes a for profit industry like anything else and all concern for truth or any sense of social responsibility goes out the window we’re left with this. Hard to stomach.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

No reason to.

It's no longer about the truth or facts but what you can get someone to believe.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Jenna Fryer has had a few hot takes on the Indy 500 but she’s reliable on the beat.

5. yont sum iss?

It’s obviously a noose or a noose like knot. It was investigated, as it should have been, and discovered that’s its been there at least since last October proving that no one was targeted by it. I’d take note of the people in the media still pushing this like its an issue. Pretty good indication of those who are never going to let facts get in the way of an opportunity to grab some retweets.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The president of NASCAR held a conference call about it, today in fact. It seems to me like if an executive of a company is talking about it, then it’s probably still an issue. Were those whose job it is to cover NASCAR supposed to ignore it so as to avoid grabbing some retweets?

7. yont sum iss?

I’m obviously not talking about people reporting about a conference call or whatever. Seems to be plenty of people online still insinuating or saying outright that this isn’t a closed issue. The FBI investigation would seem to suggest otherwise. Unless people are saying the FBI is wrong or lying.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My point is, if the President of NASCAR is still taking about it, it’s not a closed issue.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Videos showing garage pull ropes that look similar.

12. Beechervol

The issue for Nascar is different now than before the situation was investigated by the Feds.

Before the FBI investigation you had a deliberate racist act that Nascar jumped behind with very little details released to the public. And most people that took the story at face value praised Nascar for its stance.

After the investigation you have a misunderstanding that probably should have been investigated more thoroughly before it turned into a national story. And given the findings of the FBI it could have been determined by Nascar and reaffirmed by the FBI if they felt it was needed without the story getting to where it got.

The aftermath could have been handled one of 2 ways. Either you dig your heels in and continue on the same track. Basically we disagree with the findings of the FBI, or we re taking this story in a different direction for perception sake since in turned out to not be what we thought it was. Right now it looks like they have chosen this direction.
    Or you release a statement along the lines of "We thank the FBI for looking into this matter for us as we deemed it extremely important. Upon the findings of this investigation we are happy to conclude that there is no evidence of a heinous act directed at one of our drivers. We appreciate the support from everyone and look forward to putting this behind us and move forward in a positive direction".

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I guess where I differ with this thought process is, a noose (or two nooses according to Indy's link) doesn't have to be targeted at a black guy to be a problem.

Clearing a hate crime was the first box to check, but there might be a few more now. Not saying I need Al Sharpton to march around the track, just that there might be a little more digging to do before it's "closed".

14. Beechervol

What would they be?

15. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'd say mostly internal steps, nothing that has to play out in the media. You owe it to your employees to attempt to find out who's tying these and what the motivation is. Also, apparently an organizational clarification that nooses are bad is needed.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just tie a [uck fay]ing bowline knot!!! would be the meeting

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. Beechervol

Theres nothing wrong with that . Nascar probably would have been better served not playing it out in the media to begin with. At least until they had a better grasp of what did or didnt happen.

If they have a knot tying problem on their garage doors that's a easy email to every track they race at.

justingroves likes this.
  18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s Barstool.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Tweets or it didn't happen.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It happened.