What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t remember where the discs cut off for the original game. I played it all the way through at least 4 or 5 times, but it’s been a while. I’m also not sure how much of the remake I have left (currently just came across Tifa being carted off to Don Corneo’s mansion).

But the more I play, the more I feel like the separating into multiple games is just a money grab, rather than an attempt to truly and more deeply explore this collection of characters. So much of the game just feels like filler. Even the mini games (darts and whack-a-box) feel like they’re just there to fill time. I think I got a perfect darts score on my 3rd try, and my guess is I won’t play it again. Whack-a-box last night took me 5 tries to get the top score. Are these mini games supposed to remind me of Chocobo breeding? Or the gold saucer fight game? Or the Fort Condor mini game?

They should have pushed this game a little further into the story. Get out in the main world for a bit. I don’t know where you ultimately cut it off, but there’s gotta be somewhere you can do it that will allow you to beef up the legitimate content and drop the filler.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

FF7 Remake SPOILER ALERT: If you care about spoilers, consider not reading below.

Just got past the point where they drop the plate on the Sector 7 slums. I get what they were trying to do early on by exploring the side characters in significantly more depth than the original game, and I honestly liked it a lot... but then you just don't see them for like, 10-15 hours of the game. So by the time you arrive back in Sector 7 to witness their deaths, all the positive feelings you had built up towards those characters are 2-3 weeks old, and I found myself caring about as much as I did in the original game. And Wedge dies while... saving his cats...? I get that he had to die, but they took the chubby, lovable character, who you know is going to die because his story just doesn't continue in the rest of the game, and they made him die like a [uck fay]ing moron.

And I think the above speaks to one of my main issues with this game, which is the pacing and the amount of time it devotes to stuff that just doesn't matter. I like giving more time to the Midgar story, but not if it's just fluff. Why do I need to fight two separate bosses in the train graveyard? Why do I need to spend an hour and a half to 2 hours getting through an area/story (train graveyard) that doesn't impact the overall narrative at all? I get that there's a small bit about Aerith's childhood included, but that was MAYBE 5 minutes total. The whole thing just felt like more fluff.

Other things I don't like:
    • I hope Barrett isn't your favorite FF7 character, because he's been MIA for about 75% of the game thus far.
    • The dance minigame with Cloud was so out of character as to be completely unbelievable. I enjoyed every part of the story up until the point that the quiet, stoic leader is on a stage doing a choreographed dance in front of a bunch of people.
    • Battles have a tendency to fall into a weird cycle. If you let your other teammates go down, and you're the only one left, you find yourself running away from whoever your fighting to avoid being killed. And you run and run and run, until you fill your ATB meter, which allows you to use Raise or a Phoenix Down to bring back a teammate. But before they can fill an ATB bar to give themselves additional health, they're dead again. So then you just repeat the process over and over, until finally, you just say "[uck fay] it" and let yourself die to start over. But if you wanted to, you could carry that cycle on for what feels like hours, until you run out of items in your inventory. That's just dumb.
    Obviously the game isn't over, but so far, I'm not a huge fan. Also, if they maintain this pacing for the next game(s), we are looking at like, 5+ installments before reaching the end. See you in 2035 on the PS6, I guess?

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’ve dedicated entirely too much time to video games during this thing. So far

FF7 Remake - 45ish hours
    Persona 5 Royal - 120ish hours
    TLOU replay to prep for 2 - 17ish hours with DLC
    TLOU2 - 25ish hours

All were fantastic

I picked Destiny 2 back up to start prepping for the new DLC and have been having a blast with Season of Arrivals

Ghost of Tsushima and Paper Mario Origami King are next, then probably Persona 4 Golden, Disco Elysium and D2: Beyond Light

I think all that should get me to PS5

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

w.t.f
    played EA sports golf vs my son who shot a 58 vs my 77. That was enough

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Played Halo 3 with my son a few days ago. We got about halfway through according to him. I had only played through the first couple of checkpoints before.

It's weird watching him be patient with me because he is so much better at the game than I am. I'm actually a little proud of him for it. A few years ago he would not have have behaved as maturely.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So I did a thing...

[​IMG]

TurtleTiz and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just started ANOTHER skyrim game yesterday. I probably have a problem

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

How many Skyrim games are there?

9. fl0at_

I bet you and the tweens you Minecraft with love it.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve probably done a half a dozen different characters

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Anyone played Fallout 76? I picked it up for cheap.

I loved 4, but seems like 76 has gotten mixed reviews, at best.

12. fl0at_

I didn't play it, because of the buddy component. I don't know if it was any good single player, but I never heard too many talk about it.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

There is a new DLC that came out this year that is supposed to expand significantly on the single player aspect which is the only reason I'm trying it.

I don't have the time to play consistently enough to really get into multiplayer stuff.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Nah. I play with a few software engineers who live down in Florida. They painted “FSU” in the other end zone.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, don’t you play WoW?

16. fl0at_

I do. Would you like to compare the demographics between the two?

justingroves likes this.
  17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Just picked up NewVegas during the steam summer sale. In the middle of trying to get it up to speed with mods and such.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. Show me what you got.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

New Vegas is a ton of fun.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Ghost of Tsushima is a really good game so far. This has been one helluva year for PS exclusives