NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Aug 18, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

This game should have started an hour earlier. Ridiculous time slot.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

East Coast sports life is rough.

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It's the one true prime time football game the West Coast gets.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

can they even see the tv through the smoke? (with all due respect. hope it gets better)

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

SNF down 28% per the article I saw.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think part of it is just that the NFL is less popular, less must-see, than it used to. Like the NBA with Bird, Magic, and then Jordan, there is a decline in interest once you've kind of seen the best that the game has to offer. Manning and Brady were must see for 15 years and the current product, while not really worse, is certainly not better either. People are just bored with it a little I think...no new great thing to wow people. It's hard to sustain being as popular as the NFL was for such a long time. Almost inevitable that there would be some slippage. And while Dallas-LA is certainly large market, there aren't the headliners at QB that are going to attract eyeballs.

I'm just saying that I don't think it's all political/covid/BLM anger

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The decline has been going on for awhile, and it is in younger audiences. Millennials and Generation Z do not watch sports or live television as much as older generations, and the gap is growing.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Nfl got boring to me a few years ago before all this other stuff. Plus i will watch college football saturday and wasting sunday on nfl became un fun

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Video games are really fun. I could easily waste large chunks of my life playing them. I think that a lot of societal trends can be explained by them. Teen pregnancies, types of drugs used, etc.

IP likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Same for me, honestly.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm less into it. I cannot really latch on to a team post Peyton. I've tried the Packers because my wife likes them but truth be told she really doesn't care that much. Tried the Titans last year but they really pissed me off with not understanding what JJ means to the state/a big chunk of their fanbase.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Isn't he available now, too? Put him on a practice squad at least.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He’s on the 49ers practice squad right now. I believe all teams had a chance to sign him between being cut and placed on the practice squad, but I’m not 100% sure how that all works.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I imagine there is a LOT of "don't mess with my guys and I won't mess with your guys" going on in that, too. Sort of the unwritten Gentlemen's Agreement.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My kids watch ZERO sports and do nothing but play video games. I hope these corporations are paying attention or they are going to be left holding a very large bag when their revenue streams evaporate.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We have good friends with sons on the HS football team. Cheerleader parents. One kid carries a flag and dresses up each week. He cant wait. I ask my 17 yr old if hes going to the battle of the woods game friday and he laughs at me. Not even a consideration. Doesnt want to watch and doesnt need the big social interaction

17. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Progression from real battle, to sports, to online games over the last couple 100 years. Competition is still there but just in a different format and less physical.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The next NFL TV deal is, by all accounts, supposed to be for substantially more than their current deal which pays them close to $40 billion for their broadcast rights. The current deal expires after 2022, I think.

They’re going to be just fine.

Even if Jim Bob from Ohio tells us he is never going to watch, ever again, because he’s mad at peaceful civil rights protests.

justingroves likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only thing that's going to slow it down is if kids today don't grow up watching football, but that's probably 15 to 20 years down the road before it hits

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Also, I don't know how they figure streaming networks into the ratings either. I'm sure they do, but a lot of cord cutting is happening. This is random thought of the day