The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Should we, as Citizens, not always first ask of the State "What did you do and why did a Citizen die by your hands?" instead of "Well, the Citizen should know better and I side with the State in this." ?

I ask this because it seems that we often bend over backwards to defend the police in a situation like this instead of giving the citizen 100% of the benefit of the doubt.

SetVol13 likes this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

State/ government has way too much power but I don’t see that getting stripped anytime soon.

warhammer likes this.
  3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Not if people just accept it, no.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

most people want more government so they’ll need more enforcement.

5. fl0at_

I don't believe that most people want more government. I think you are confusing specific government with more government.

Some areas need to increase, because government's job is to facilitate the life of the people. Other areas of government need to decrease.

We have hundreds of government employees, that we pay massive amounts of money to, that can't even draft a friggen simple law without it having 14 legal holes. We could do with less of that, and put some of that money, in, apparently, "writing" education.

utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He puts it much more eloquently than I ever could

VolDad, SetVol13, utvol0427 and 2 others like this.
  7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

One officer charged with 3 counts of felony wanton endangerment.

The others officers have been charged with mur...oh, actually, nothing. That’s it. That’s the list of charges.

RIP Louisville.

8. fl0at_

One better than none. And no-knocks suspended long ago in Louisville.

That's about as close as we're going to get any time soon.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Still not sure how anybody ever expected to get a murder charge out of this. Manslaughter? Sure.

Unions have power. Until that's broken nothing at all will change.

SetVol13, justingroves and Indy like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

this may be the only union so powerful as to allegedly get away with murder on a consistent basis.

11. CardinalVol

Firemen too, if they killed people.

Just telling you. They hold power, and in Louisville it appears they hold lots and lots of power.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Manslaughter should have been the charge for whoever approved the no knock warrant or whoever fudged it so they could get a no knock warrant.

Volst53 likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I learned today that the incident report for Taylor's death was nearly blank. I mean, damn.

14. CardinalVol

I've not seen that.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Hard to say. Probably there are other unions so powerful, but those unions don't regularly represent folks who carry, point, and shoot guns at people.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

A good test for whether it is or is not anything would be to define what would qualify as something now. Would the DA not giving any option for finding higher charges be something? would be putting out or failing to correct false details, such as there being no camera footage, be something?

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

For the former, I'd have to educate myself a bit more on how these situations work. For the latter, I think it would depend what that camera footage shows.

I'm not sure why there's a need to define it now, rather than waiting to see what info comes out and then deciding.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

right, so you will think it is nothing. whatever it is, you will rationalize it-- even if it shows bald face lying, such as about the presence of cameras.