Being White is a Privilege...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 21, 2012.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Have you guys read about this yet? It's from the University of Minnesota - Duluth designed to "raise awareness of white privilege" and states that it's "unfair to be white."

http://d-umn.campusreform.org/group/blog/university-sponsors-campaign-to-undermine-white-privilege

[video=youtube;Do_w2V0-3D0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_w2V0-3D0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't even know where to start with this.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd like to not have to wear suntan lotion.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I know...I had to read it a couple times to make sure I understood what was going on.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Where to begin?

I bet the six people that appeared in that video are super-fun to hang out with. Just guessing.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I personally wish I could dance and wear a purple suit and not look stupid.

And cue uni in 3........2..........1............

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Ftr, real racism is disgusting, despicable, and should not be tolerated.

But this is the sort of bogus nonsense that gives genuine claims about racial injustice a bad name. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Ftr, real racism is disgusting, despicable, and should not be tolerated.

But this is the sort of bogus nonsense that gives genuine claims about racial injustice a bad name. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I get stared at when I leave my afro comb in my side part. It's unfair.

Real racism shouldn't be tolerated. But shit like this only serves to beget racism of minorities towards white people. (I refuse to call it reverse-racism. Reverse-racism, to me, is getting along. Racism is racism, regardless of whichever race is guilty of it.)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably needs to have a privilege tax associated with it.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think I have some Melungeon in me. No sunburn issues, yet I still get the perks of being "white".

Being from Southern California, you may need to Google what a Melungeon is. It's mostly an Appalachian thang.....

12. JohnnyQuickkick

If some individual or group wants to spout this nonsense it's one thing, but the fact that administration is backing it at a state university is ridiculous.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I think that's what is throwing me off the most as well. The fact that any university Chancellor would endorse this is mind blowing.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

I'd like to see this actually.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I was recently called a "blatent racist" on the cal rivals board because I said that black football players are far less likely on average to graduate than white lacross players and therefore our AD mentioning the high APR for the non revenue sports and not the one for football and basketball was perhaps being dishonest. The exact quote was "Is it really surprising our APR in the elitist white sports is high?" God bless the internet.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

This campaign does exactly what its proponents undoubtedly accuse whites of doing. It acts as if a group of people are a single-minded monolith and engages in across the board stereotyping.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I bet the "enlightened" individual ripping you has never done the first [dadgum] thing to try and rectify the situation you mentioned. One of my favorite exchanges ever was outside the media room at Rupp Arena after an NCAA Tournament game in the mid '90s. A national columnist was getting on a coach I'm friendly with about the graduation rate of his black players. The coach let the columnist ramble for a while, then asked a simple question. "How many black kids have you brought to a college campus and given an opportunity at an education?" The answer was, of course, none. The coach smiled, said "Then shut the [uck fay] up" and walked away. If you aren't doing anything to rectify the situation, I have no interest in hearing you cry and grandstand about the problem.

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I bet those weren't really white people at all. Make up, I saw the movie White Chicks.

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I didn't think about it until now, but I guess I'm helping them to "raise awareness of white privilege" by posting it on here.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Oh, please. White privilege is real, but no one should apologize or beg forgiveness for being born. It's moronic what they're doing and counterproductive.