Mama's Boys Talkin' Cookin'

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Oct 18, 2018.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have multiple buddies with treagers. It puts out fine bbq and they can adjust it via their phone and leave it alone. Just seems wrong on some level.

justingroves likes this.
  2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The only thing that you need to worry about is keeping it dry. If the pellets get wet they get gummy and it’s hard to clean them out of the box. I think you’d just about have to disassemble the thing down to the auger to get them all out. I’ve not had that experience though because I keep mine in the garage.

You also want to keep the CPU and electronics dry, obviously. So keep that in mind. They don’t handle handle the elements well. Not like a gas grill will.

You don’t have to worry about the quality of meat you smoke. They’re solid to very solid, and most you can use as a grill as well so they’re versatile enough to justify the cost.

You’ll of course still want to monitor the internal temp of your meat, but there’s all kinds of thermometers with Bluetooth and WiFi for that.

Other than that, it’s pretty much set it and forget it.

TennTradition likes this.
  3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I got over that as soon as discovered how good and how easy it was.

droski and TennTradition like this.
  4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Thanks. It’ll be covered so keeping it dry shouldn’t be an issue beyond humidity.

The new recteq line (and traeger) have probes for the meat that integrate with their app as well, which is nice.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was given a rec tec, it's too easy. It feels wrong, but everything tastes good

TennTradition and Savage Orange like this.
  6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

It’s crazy that bbq is a thing that, if you don’t have to struggle with it... something ain’t right. I’m the same way with my cheap drum smoker. I have to nurse that thing constantly to get good bbq out of it, but it feels right to do so. One day I’ll grow up and join the 21st century, but it won’t be anytime soon.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If it taste good, I don’t see the easy being an issue.

8. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

I have a Rec Tec. If I want extra smoke I use a smoke tube. You really can't beat set and forget.

9. TennTradition

That’s good to hear. I had already planned to get smoke tube thinking that might help push the smoke up.

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I only have a Weber...I’d like to build a pit like @Beechervol for smoking. I fixed a my first pot of fresh collards ever on NY day. They would make a bulldog break his chain.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve got a chargriller big enough to do a 10-lb or so butt and one of those Weber Igrill things. It’s not a lot of work I don’t think. Just keep an eye on it and add charcoal when necessary

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have a Weber smoker and it’s not a lot of work to keep it at temp, but it’s not an ezbake oven like the treager where you can leave it alone for hours

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s not really about the ease or difficulty of the work to me. I still enjoy smoking meats the “traditional” way when I have the time.

The problem is having the time.

CitrusCo.Vol, justingroves and droski like this.
  14. TennTradition

Yeah that’s where I’m at. I don’t use it nearly enough anymore. Need an option that’s less hands on.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Really enjoying my air fryer. Funnel cake tonight

Attached Files:

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Beginning the day with Ricky Kreme, ending the day with Foothills Milling Company. Not bad.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Still haven’t been to Fmc. Hard to not go to walnut kitchen for me when it comes to that sort of occasion

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Need to go to The Appalachian.

It’s owner used to own The Walnut Kitchen, and sold it to open this new venture.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Noted.

Every so often we'll get away for a night and go somewhere close to get away. Will keep that one in mind.