COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I'm not dying on the hill and wear one everywhere I go, because I'm supposed to. About to go to Dollar General now for some kidney beans and will have one on. N95 masks work. I don't think cloth masks do much of anything. Again, jmo and I'm not telling other people they are idiots for thinking they do.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What it is about masks that works on a medical level, but not at a population level? They don't wilt in UV, or suddenly become useless because their in Target instead of a clinical setting.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

People have lost their minds.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it’s important to note there’s peer reviewed studies in medical settings that show cloth mask actually increase risk to HCW’s over not wearing any mask. Now that study was on the flu and not COVID.

HCW have hygiene and mask wearing procedures that limit contamination due to cross contamination, and routinely change out mask multiple times per day.

The average person in the population is pretty sloppy mask wearing procedures.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think N95 mask with proper hygiene and mask wearing does offer protection.

I think a surgical mask and face shield would offer protection.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Probably something to do with user IQ.

7. fl0at_

If you are talking about the study done in Vietnam, the comparison was cloth mask to medical masks, not cloth masks to no masks.

Health care workers had to re-use masks a lot, especially early on.

Even if the average person is sloppy, that means there are people that are not, and those people are the benefit, plus all those they would otherwise pass it along to.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They had a no mask wearing control group.

now with cloth wearing they did wear them for their shifts. Since they’re not disposable like surgical and N95.

9. fl0at_

No they did not, that study's control group was "usual practice" which included mask wearing.

Further, their cloth mask group encountered people without any masks at all (ie: patients). It is well established that only one party wearing a mask is very ineffective, and the risks are greatly reduced when all parties wear masks, which also was not studied.

10. fl0at_

IP, NorrisAlan and justingroves like this.
  11. fl0at_

Also, Trump admin going to request states start vaccinating 65 and older, and those with co-morbidities starting soon. That opens the pool to something like 175 million people.

Logistically, that's going to be tough without Federal involvement, so hopefully they announce plans to get involved, as well. Asking the states to support that high an increase in demand, is... problematic.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

what prevents them from using the existing infrastructure for flu shots? Have people going to their local drug stores?

13. fl0at_

For the pfizer vaccine it was storage limitations. For the Moderna vaccine, I think it is production.

What I'm getting at, is if the local drug store only has 50 doses... is it first come first served? Do you line everyone up by age? You're going to throw 175 million or so people at 20 million doses.

And maybe that isn't a bad thing, I don't know.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

All the Wal Greens around say the vaccine is coming soon

IP likes this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think logistics on storage of vaccine might be the hold up there and it would havelock be by a strict appointment instead of just swinging by on a whim while out running errands like flu shots.

the vaccine has to set out so many hours before vaccination and once the seal is broken has a short window that it must be used in.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there is an argument that there are worse things.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

18. fl0at_

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Does anyone know if the vaccine will work on this b.1.1.7

20. fl0at_

I'm going to say yes, and here is why, just logically (we can do the science if we need to):

The vaccine stimulates an antibody response, similar to one caused by the infection itself, right? If those antibodies didn't work against B117, then we'd see a lot of people who have already had the infection, get a new infection. But we're not seeing that, so the antibodies from previous infections work against B117, therefore the ones created by the vaccine will too.

A-Smith likes this.