COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Makes sense. Thanks!

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

A-Smith likes this.
  3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

These vaccines have something going for them in that they target antibodies to the spike protein - the part of the virus that allows it to infect humans. If significant enough mutations occur to the spike protein that the antibodies wouldn’t recognize it, there’s also a shot that the mutation would die away in humans because it couldn’t infect them.

IP likes this.
  4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That mutation wouldn't die away, exactly, as it never took hold, outside of a single person.

If I cause a mutation that won't allow the virus to spread... then I can't spread it. So it would only be found in me.

The other virus would still be present, though. So we'd still see the non-mutated one.

5. TennTradition

Well that’s what I meant. Once the mutation occurs that virus dies away if it can’t infect human cells.

6. fl0at_

Yea, just clarifying. A mutated virus that can't grow in size population wise, can't displace another one, that can grow. That's why a virus can't mutate away. It can mutate to something less lethal, potentially, but it can't mutate itself out of existence.

7. TennTradition

Right. It isn’t that the virus (all statins) die away because a mutations removes the effective spike protein.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Good news for Tennessee is going through their long term care facilities faster than expected and will be moving to the next phase in the next three weeks to vaccinations in store at pharmacies.

fl0at_ likes this.
  9. fl0at_

65+ and 18+ with comorbidities first?

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

65+ to start.

They expect to be giving a vaccine every 15 minutes at each location.

11. fl0at_

Nice. Let's do it.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I could get one being in the industry Im in, and have had reps get theirs at St thomas, but am not going to at this time.

13. TennTradition

Sweet. I wasn’t expecting 65+ until March. I’ll tell the parents to start warming up the truck.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

it will be by appointment only so have them to schedule it as soon as it opens. Appointments will be online only so if they’re not tech savvy help them with it.

vaccines are already on hand. The only hold up is Governor Lee right now.

TennTradition likes this.
  15. TennTradition

Awesome. Thanks. If you hear it getting closer, I’d appreciate the heads up.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

A relative who works in education (special ed, so not really able to control exposure all the time) got COVID just before Christmas. Was "mild," but kinda the worst illness she ever had. Now, weeks later, she is having numbness in her legs and stomach area. Having to see a neurologist. This virus does really weird things. Sounds like Guillane-Barre syndrome.

17. fl0at_

Today we'll hit 400,000 deaths with 24,000,000 cases.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

93,000 more projected over the next 3 weeks. We need a national refocus

19. TennTradition

I believe that’s the upper 95% confidence interval of the Reich lab’s ensemble prediction. Looks like the CNN article mischaracterized that a bit. Mean projection might be closer to 70-75k.

IP likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

thank you for the clarification. still need to refocus