Who we gunna git? Part 4

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Jan 18, 2021.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Alright this is my stance: If we are going to roll the dice on a coach, I'd rather just ask Mayo if he wants the interim tag for a season, with a guarantee to be Defensive Coordinator for 2022 if we decide to go another way.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Which would mean we didn’t even talk to Kiffin, which (IMO) would be criminal negligence and a stain on DW right off the bat.

3. Savage Orange

That’d be a guaranteed way to not have him accept. He’s got way better options in the NFL right now.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't like him as a candidate. I think the job is too big for him, and there are better candidates out there. Unless several others have already said no twice, I think a choice such as this might show that this AD job might be a little too big for White as well. Hiring the guy you didn't hire at UCF for Tennessee?

Best case scenario is he comes in and wins big. Of course that leaves us waiting on wondering when Dabo leaves Clemson and he leaves to go coach at his alma mater.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

No way would he or should he accept that.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Even though Kiffin has changed a bit, i dont know that our focus on integrity and upcoming ncaa issues allows it. Im on record as saying id like Kiffin, whereas years ago i wanted no part.
    I did read Elliots offenses have avgd 40 pts and 500 yards in his 75 games as OC, but i get the concern of being a HC. Could be good or bad.

7. Savage Orange

Correct. This is from his Wiki page. As much as I don’t want to go the unproven guy route again, if it DID turn out to be Mayo... I’d be ok with it.

E7AA38CE-4FEE-4461-87CB-DB43BB0D129C.jpeg

8. chavisut

Fleck has a catch phrase, one with genuine meaning to the guy. That’s where the similarities end. He is a solid coach. I’m not convinced he’d win championships here but I’d take him over any coordinator, specifically any coordinators that have more talent than 99.9% of their opponents.

9. chavisut

I’d be fine with Mayo being announced today.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That he makes sure to trademark and stamp all over cheap gear in whatever school he is at. He's a self promoting douchebag

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont know much about Fleck or why the Butch comparisons, except they both coached in Michigan and use cliches.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too

Savage Orange likes this.
  13. chavisut

Meh.

14. Savage Orange

He’d do for UT what Pittman did for Arkansas right away, which was to return the Hogs to being a team you had to worry about instead of just assume it was a W.

15. Savage Orange

Maybe the similar records have a lot to do with it.

16. chavisut

I have a feeling he’d put together a killer staff and get to work recruiting.

Memtownvol and Savage Orange like this.
  17. chavisut

Gotta love record comparisons without context.

18. Savage Orange

I bet the recruiting would stay at Pruitt level quality without the McDonalds bag cheating mess.

19. Savage Orange

They both coached at similar level programs (Cincinnati and Minnesota) and while Botch has been at it longer, their win percentage is in the same neighborhood. Botch actually has a higher win %... very comparable bowl records/post season honors. Fleck just comes across to me as another Jones and I don’t want to start off the bat not liking the next coach, knowing he’s going to be short-time.

just noticed the “Dan Mullen fan club president” thing... surely you didn’t stick yourself with that??!?

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He hasn't had HC offers. He wants this job. I think he thinks he would win the job.