Battered Vol Syndrome roll call

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Savage Orange, Jan 28, 2021.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's not about how big of a "problem" it is. It's about whether I'm going to align myself with that shit as a fan. I'm not. Not sure why that would annoy somebody but you do you.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Maybe “annoy” isn’t the right word but I think addressing the actual issue is more important than getting wrapped around the axle about the symptoms. I agree to a point though. I could never be a “Redskins” fan growing up because of the name mainly. Curiously enough, being a Braves fan isn’t an issue to me because it isn’t overtly racist.

VOLinDAWGland and A-Smith like this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'll have to report you to DCS if you take him over there for a game.

Savage Orange likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I could never be a Braves fan because they’re overtly annoying

NorrisAlan and Savage Orange like this.
  5. Savage Orange

True!! They’re the most overachieving underachievers ever... and that annoys me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I’m not going anywhere, I just care less.

There was a time in my life where I’d have a goddam breakdown if I missed kickoff by 2 minutes.

Then it got to where I was still planning my day around games but not looking forward to it.

Then it got to DVRing because I didn’t HAVE to experience it live, but I’d still silence my phone and stay off the internet until I could watch it without any spoilers.

Then it got to DVRing still, but I’d just skip the portion I missed and watch it live for however much of the game was still on when I got to a TV.

Then it got to only watching the game if I later found out we won.

Then it got to I didn’t even check the score or watch it either way by the end of last year.

I’m fully prepared to be a fair weather fan if a warm front should ever move in, but the passion is long gone.

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I feel this in my soul. It's been close to 5 years since I watched a game live. I did fast forward through a couple games this season, but I'm fully 'meh'. Fire did come back for the search, but it's out again.

zehr27, JT5, reVOLt and 2 others like this.
  8. Savage Orange

Same.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sorry for the snippy response. I've been holding it together with my family but snapped at you. Danny White's got me on edge.

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Me in 2009: Excited about the hire, sad about the departure

Me in 2010: Not excited about the hire, but retained Chaney and brought in what looked like a good defensive staff. I slowly bought in late in 2010 after Bray started. The "Opporitunity is Now/here" shit was an insight into why Dooley wasn't a good coach.

Me in 2013: This guy is a [uck fay]ing idiot but I love UT. He's bringing in some good players, lets see if they develop. Nope, they don't, but bail Sgt Carter and the Chuckleheads out.

Me in 2017: This guy is a [uck fay]ing idiot but I love UT. He's bringing in some good players, lets see if they develop. Nope, they don't, and they don't even bail out Ole Cornbread.

Me in 2021: Yep, this is what we deserve. I probably won't even watch most games and won't contribute directly or indirectly to UT athletics. I'll come around if Heupel delivers an entertaining product and has us competitive, but I highly doubt this actually happens.

gcbvol and A-Smith like this.
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Same. Also, I'm pissed that White didn't even give us an entertaining coaching search this time.

gcbvol, Savage Orange and reVOLt like this.
  12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

My oldest is a money kid, she’s 8. Her 6 yo sister doesn’t give a damn.

My 8 year old put a 2.5-in hole in the wall of her room with her door knob and also hung off a towel rack and ripped a hole in the wall. We eventually got someone in to repair because the holes were big enough it needed retexturing that I can’t get right (why do they texture walls down here?).

Anyway - she ended up about 150 bucks in debt from it. Child never complained once - just made a sheet starting at 15o and raked, stacked, cleaned toilets, washed windows, etc for the next 6 months and shes out of debt. I was impressed.

My 6 yo would have just resigned herself to a life of poverty. Haha

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That's some good parenting.

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m like 1 for 500.

Actually 2/500.

We took a little trip over Thanksgiving and went to a sea turtle sanctuary while there. My youngest had money but my oldest was still in debt. My youngest was in the gift shop picking out a stuffed animal to buy with her money. She asked her older sister which stuffed animal she liked and then asked me if she had enough money to buy that for her too. Again - was impressed. Funny thing is that while she was thankful I’m confident my oldest still doesn’t realize how cool that was.

A-Smith likes this.
  15. Savage Orange

No worries, everybody’s been a little edgy here lately.

A-Smith likes this.
  16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What the [uck fay] is that supposed to [uck fay]ing mean, you [uck fay]ing [uck fay]head??

A-Smith and Savage Orange like this.
  17. Savage Orange

Lol!!!

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think the biggest issue is Bill O'Brien.

It's either a scathing indictment about our (and many other prominent programs) situation in football that BOB wasn't even contacted, or it's a scathing indictment about the apathy that was yet another UT HC search.

I get the feeling it's more about how coaches view "rebuild jobs". Michigan/Texas/Auburn this year weren't even entertained by guys like Napier/Campbell/Fickell. AFAIK that's why Michigan just went back to Harbaugh because they have enough sense to stick with a guy that's giving you 8-4/9-3 seasons over failing to get the hot name. This is of course just based on what I've heard from some UM buddies... Michigan shopped around and did not like the potential replacements and stuck with Khaki.

It also says something when Napier/Campbell/Fickell/Fitzgerald would rather stay at their low expectation low requirement jobs for $3-4mil/year over taking a high-pressure job at a has-been program where they'll be fired in 4 years. Just bide your time and wait for Clemson/Bama/OSU/LSU to open up where you can waltz into a stacked roster.

I don't know that we'll be able to get out of this rut. It will require a lot of chips falling into place and I don't know if I see that happening. We have an incredibly toxic fanbase, a toxic local media, a national media that is enthralled with our failures and we're having to go head-head against 3 of the most talented teams in the country every year. This isn't even considering how apathetic the UT leadership continually seems to be regarding making football successful.

I think Pruitt was probably too direct, but I think he hit on something. Places like Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, Athens, etc have local areas that are significantly more devoted to allowing the football programs a wide berth and will allow things to be worked out under the table. Combined with now what is obviously a hyper-active compliance department... I dont' see it happening.

Maybe not even Saban would take off the ground in Knoxville. After Year 1 we'd be gnashing at teeth and the compliance dept would turn him in over Hot Wheelz.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    A-Smith likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The edge was 3 ft to the north and several days ago. I'm in free fall.

20. _Crew_

_Crew_ Contributor

My strategy of watching until I'm annoyed has served me well.

If the opponent goes up by two scores, I just move on with my day. Periodically check the phone to see if it's worth tuning back in.

lylsmorr likes this.