After thinking about it for a few days.....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 31, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

......here's my thoughts.

1. Heupel is likely a 7-9 max win coach here, with 7 and 8 being the norm.

2. I want to hedge on that because I am still scared about recruiting and he's starting in a big hole with more dirt being thrown on him. It's a tall task. Top 20 is still 8th to 10th in the conference.

3. I am looking forward to watching this offense. We are going to score points.

4. White just did what Hamilton tried to do - turn the page on football. We probably just officially joined the rest of the top tier of the SEC in thinking, hopefully results will follow. Welcome to a new era on The Hill. We're going to be a quasi-pro program.

5. I don't agree with it, but based on #4 I think I understand the route he went in looking for a coach.

6. White is either going to make this a championship caliber program across all sports or fail miserably. I can't figure out if his ego is his biggest asset, liability, or both. He's going to have to figure out that this isn't a 50K student four year community college.

7. I'm still keeping my new name and avi, because I like them.

Savage Orange likes this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His ego is both his best trait and his biggest drawback. He's going to completely remake the AD into what he wants it to be.

I wonder if Barnes is upset Gilbert didn't get the AD job

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

What was your old name?

A-Smith likes this.
  4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Braves Vol iirc

fl0at_ likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

MikeHamiltonFan

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Oh yeah...and that would explain point 4.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Can you expound on your thinking on # 5?

8. CardinalVol

[​IMG]

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Dammit Sab got through the filter again

Volst53 and justingroves like this.
  10. CardinalVol

There were two people in this group that would have swam through a volcano to get this job. They both had Tennessee ties, whether by location or being here before. If you want to start with a blank canvas, you go get someone not affiliated with this university in any way ever. At the same time, it looks as if you are pandering to the fan base.

Go get "your guy" even if there might be others if you think the gap isn't that large. I get it. I just disagree with it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Ok I get the logic. Gap looks huge to me. I just hope maybe Danny's got more insight into 6-4 than we do. He strikes me as a guy who wants to win. My hope is he thinks Heupel has the goods.

The battered vol in me suspects that he overestimates how hard it is to win at UCF. Look what happened when Frost moved to the big leagues. But Tennessee is not Nebraska no matter how much people want to say that. Our struggles have been for very largely different reasons.

12. Ssmiff

Didnt they have 12+ optouts this season due to covid?

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It was at least 11 I think.

And perhaps they’re just unique in circumstances. But it makes you question the team culture a bit, which is in itself a red flag.

14. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

After, pondering about this shit show in whole, White is not UT, Heupel is definitely not UT! With that being said, White may have went after his second choice of what he had with Frost, but realized he could never give either of them the proper resources they’d really need to have long term success at UCF, I think he would have brought Frost with him as well! Tennessee offers a vast and plentiful of everything a good or great coach desires! Heupel will struggle with the staffing this year if White is right about him, but after he lays his goods bare for all to see this season, the red seas might part! Lots of prayer and time.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I’m very well documented on here as being “unhappy” with this HC hire. I was pretty stoked about White, but after a little time, the jury has gone back out on him... after a few days to calm down, I’ve realized there’s no reason to rant and rave about something the way I was doing if I’m also going to turn around and say I don’t care that much about it any more anyway. I hope Heupel proves me wrong and douses the dumpster fire UT football has been for 15 years but I have my doubts.

I’m taking a wait-and-see tack from here on out with anything concerning UT athletics. If it’s good, fantastic... go Vols. If it’s awful, too bad... go Vols. If we’re hiring another AD/HFC in a few years... no surprise.... but go Vols. I can love someone or something tremendously, want the best for them and hope they succeed in whatever they do, yet have nothing to do with them whatsoever from now on because I know as much as I love them, they’ll never love me back.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Personally, I always found Cardinal Vol to be vague. Was it the bird? A prince of the Catholic Church? The NFL team? The MLB team? The color? The directional category?

Unclear. Lane Train is clear. I prefer it. It also adds to our collection of "train" themed users both past and present.

Savage Orange likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Maybe. Didnt hear much about it while winning 22 games the 2 years prior though.

18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Someone please convince me this is going to go better than Morris at Arkansas. I realize Heupel may be a better version of Morris but Arkansas didn’t have the one time transfer stuff to deal with plus violations and he was following a better coach in Bielema whom I assume left that program and a little better shape. I also see how things are going for Frost at Nebraska which doesn’t give me any confidence. Yes, Nebraska is a harder sell to recruits, especially considering Tennessee has a better crop in their backyard but if this guy has a weakness in recruiting than how much more advantage is Tennessee? Thinking about Nebraska and Arkansas makes me feel less than optimistic about Heupel at Tennessee.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If it helps, Chad Morris never had a winning AAC record in three years as a head coach.

Also, Tennessee does recruit itself to some degree—Dooley pulled top 15 classes. Assistants will still matter a lot though.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

We can only get worse by 3 games. There is an absolute bottom, and we are near it. So, glass one-fourth full. Can't hurt much worse than it already hurts all the time!

A-Smith likes this.